Migrate from his2000 to his2009

Hi,

We have his2000 ( win2003) running TN3270 that we want to upgrade to his2009 ( win 2008 )

I try to replace the COM.CFG file and to do backup and restore configuration .  the configuration is move but when i  click the LU TN3270 the mmc crash on faulting module MFC80.DLL.

How can i migrate the configuration?

Thanks,

Eyal

May 27th, 2015 12:51am

Hi, 

First of all, I'd like to inform you that HIS 2009 is actually in extended support and so I strongly recommend you to upgrade directly to the lastest release (HIS 2013) or at least at HIS 2010 !

I have never upgraded from HIS 2000 but I think the easiest would be to export to the com.cfg (as you did).

Create a basic config in HIS 2009 and export it also to com.cfg.

Compare both files and do some changes to the com.cfg (HIS 2000)

Import the adapted com.cfg.

Have you upgraded to the latest HIS 2009 CU Package ?

Best Regards,

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 5th, 2015 4:29pm

Hi, Thanks fot reply, I try to open the files with notepad and compare the com.cfg files but there are garbled characters that i can't compare . Can you please advise me what exactly to search in the files ? The same upgrade steps (2000 to 2009) i done with another servers without any problem so i think the problem is at the com.cfg file. I can't upgrade to newer version because i use features that are not supported (DLC to MainFrame) Eyal.
June 7th, 2015 7:03am

Dear Eyal,

what you maybe able to do is to use the command line utility SNACFG (coming with the product)
This utility can dump the old configuration to a txt file.
You can then take a look at this file (or make required modifications) and then import it again to your new server.

The new server must be setup correctly and the link services must be installed and configured, as the config doesn't contain the link service settings (they are controlled via the registry) by service control manager.

Also you may want to take a look if TN3270 service is enabled in your new configuration.

Hope this helps

Manfred Mittermller

- MSFT -

June 10th, 2015 6:14am

Hi, I try that ( snacfg #d:\com.cfg /print >xxx.txt) ,i get error about "The network name is not specified or invalid" the name of the server is ppp33sna1 (9 characters). I dont have a problem with Othe server i have who name is ppp33sna2 . Maybe i need to change the server name , how can i do this and still import the COM.CFG?I try other steps: when I delete all the PU and leave him blank the command seccseded . after change the file how can i import the com.cfg ? also try combined but thr command gave error. Thanks.
June 11th, 2015 5:48am

Hi,

Could you write down here the exact error message ?

Please take a look at this article, it may help you : http://www.networksteve.com/forum/topic.php/HIS_2004_upgrade/?TopicId=55697&Posts=3

Best Regards,

June 12th, 2015 4:25pm

Hi, After replace the COM.CFG i get crash when open the LU tab of tn3270 . The error : event id 1000. Faulting application MMC.exe version 6.0.6002.18005. faulting module MFC80.DLL version 8.0.50727.4053,exception code 0x0000005 fault offset 0x00090dda . process id 0xd78. Error on command to print the COM.CFG (snacfg #d:\com.cfg /print >x.txt : The network Name is not specified or invalid .The name can be from one through eight characters long. Other errors when try combined : error opening command file combined.txt. Thanks,

Eyl.

June 14th, 2015 2:44am

Since you see the MMC error when trying to click on a TN3270 LU and you have a problem exporting the COM.CFG, I have to assume that there is something in the TN3270 portion of the configuration that is causing the problem. You might want to look through all the TN3270 settings within SNA Manager on this server and then look for anything that appears different than the other servers that you were able to successfully migrate. I know there will be differences between the servers just based on server names, LU names, etc., but I'd look for something else that might appear different. Things such as long names or names that start with numbers or special characters.

The other option would be to open a support case with Microsoft HIS Support because you could send them the COM.CFG file and they could test it out to see what it is that is causing the error.

Thanks...

June 17th, 2015 9:50am

I delete all the pu's and lu and still got error when i configure new tn3270 lu. I will open a case . Thanks for your time and support. Eyal.
June 17th, 2015 10:18am

What do you have configured in the old HIS Server for the Network Name (netname)?  

Did you try exporting the COM.CFG from the old HIS Server using snacfg.exe on the old HIS Server?

Thanks...

June 17th, 2015 6:09pm

Hi,

What do you mean netname ? The SNA Network Control Point Name Network name is APPN ,The Control Point Name is XXX33SNA. The server name is xxx33sna1 (workgroup). I try to export and import the configuration without success. Thanks.

June 18th, 2015 2:21am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics