Migrate Or Start From Scratch - SBS 2003 R2 To Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials

I've been reading about migration to 2012 R2 Essentials (from SBS 2003 R2) and wondering if it would be easier for me to just start from scratch.

I've already moved our exchange to office 365, so that takes care of that complication.

We have a total of 4 users, so I'm thinking it might be simpler, or at least as easy, to just start from scratch with a fresh install.

Opinions welcome.

Thanks.

June 22nd, 2015 8:07pm

No brainer, 4 users, start from scratch.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 22nd, 2015 8:16pm

Is the migration a hassle for 4 users?

I can also keep the same domain name, if I start from scratch, correct?

June 22nd, 2015 8:23pm

You start from scratch when you are not bothered about user profile and data.

Migration to 2012 R2 essentials is similar to the migration you do for a standard server.

Install the OS.

Join it to the existing domain.

Transfer the FSMO roles. Simple.

June 23rd, 2015 3:28pm

Minimal profile/data concerns.  The outline for migration doesn't sound simple.
June 23rd, 2015 4:08pm

This is the simplest migration.

but if you think starting from scratch is more easier for you, go ahead and do that.  

June 23rd, 2015 4:13pm

Hey Jason,

You can do either,  both are pretty simple.  For the migration, there is a few more steps.  Here is the step by step TechNet article to migrate to 2012 Essentials R2. Migrate to Essentials 2012 R2.  Since you have already migrated to Office 365, you can consider those steps complete. 

If you have additional questions when doing these steps, please let us know.

I have sucessfully used these steps for a migration from SBS 2003 to Essentials 2012, for 4 users, and it took about 5 hours,  due to the moving data and such.

June 23rd, 2015 4:20pm

That is the guide I was looking at.  Started reading/digesting it yesterday.  I'll continue to review it, before I decide which path to take.
June 23rd, 2015 4:22pm

If you do decide to do a fresh install,  you can preserve the data, just not the user profiles. If you want to use the same domain name,  I would suggest the following:

1. Take all the workstations out of the domain.

2. Backup all the data on the server to a USB HDD.  I would recommend Richcopy found here.

3. Shut down the SBS server and remove it from the network.

4. Do the initial install of Essentials 2012,  creating the new domain with the same domain name.

5. Add the users and computers back to the domain.

6. Copy all the data from the USB HDD to the server in the folder structure you want to use moving forward.

There are benefits for doing a fresh install or a migration, you really have to weigh those benefits against each other, and decide which direction you want to go.

June 23rd, 2015 4:30pm

What are the main benefits of a fresh install, in your opinion?

Thanks.

June 23rd, 2015 4:33pm

The biggest benefit I see starting from scratch is you know exactly what has been done to the domain. This is less of a concern when you have been managing the domain since the SBS 2003 got installed, but if you inherited the network,  there may be rouge GPO's or strange OU's/User accounts that you don't know what they are for. With a fresh install, all of these go away.

Also, with a fresh domain, if you want to make changes, such as the user name scheme (going from first.last to initiallastname) is much easier to do.  Again, the biggest benefit is you are starting clean, and setting up the domain per your standards. 

June 23rd, 2015 4:47pm

Thanks
June 23rd, 2015 6:18pm

I have yet to see anyone migrate from 2003.  All I have seen is problems and none are marked answered.

I would save time and trouble and just do a fresh install.  You will have to rejoin the clients

June 25th, 2015 1:30am

Adding that profiles can be copied into the new profiles by the local or domain admin.  Adding that if there is a lot of data you can copy it to an external drive then to the new server with robocopy ahead of time.  Robocopy ONLY copies the new changed data so on the cutover day there is very little to add/move to the new server.  You could already have done users/shares/permssions on the new server so all that would be left is to disjoin old - join new and copy profiles from old_profile to new_profile once the stations are joined to the domain.

June 25th, 2015 12:40pm

Thanks for your comments.  I'm leaning towards doing the fresh install so far.
June 25th, 2015 1:43pm

That sounds like what I have in mind, Larry.  I should be able to do most of the setup beforehand and have minimal stuff left on the day of.

Robocopy vs Richcopy.... opinions on the difference?  I don't believe I've used either.

June 25th, 2015 1:46pm

Reading this now:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.04.utilityspotlight.aspx

Appears that RichCopy might be faster given is can open multiple threads.
June 25th, 2015 1:51pm

Richcopy is a GUI, Robocopy is a CLI.  The commands are interesting and there are dozens.  But in its simple format the command is:

robocopy a: b:  /s

That would copy everything from a to b including subdirectories.  Add switches as you desire.

June 25th, 2015 2:27pm

Reading this now:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.04.utilityspotlight.aspx

Appears that RichCopy might be faster given is can open multiple threads.
June 25th, 2015 5:47pm

Richcopy is built on xcopy.  It retains all permissions on the folders.  You do need to be able to map drives, or use shares though. Richcopy will also copy three items at once, where Robocopy is one at a time.  Both were developed by Microsoft.
June 25th, 2015 6:40pm

Does anyone bother with file checksum verification after copy?  As in creating an MD5?
June 30th, 2015 12:59pm

I see that RichCopy has a verify option built in.  I'm wondering how I've lived this long without RichCopy, what a great addition to the tool box!  Copied 93gb in about 2 hours.

I've decided to start from scratch for 2012 install, should have new box in house today, so I can get started.

Quick question:  Can I hook up this new box to the existing SBS network just to install updates etc..?  Or does installing 2012 require domain setup, which would prevent me from using the same domain name as the existing server?

Thanks.

July 1st, 2015 1:19pm

Just cancel the essentials wizard to prevent domain setup and do your windows updates
July 1st, 2015 1:23pm

Just cancel the essentials wizard to prevent domain setup and do your windo
July 1st, 2015 1:26pm

Having never used/installed 2012 Essentials R2, I have no idea what to expect in the way of updates but this has been "checking for updates" for nearly two hours now.  Seems like a long time to me.  Is this normal?
July 2nd, 2015 7:18pm

may take 2 hours to install them all, but not simply checking for
July 2nd, 2015 7:54pm

Kind of what I was thinking.  I do have net access via existing network (checked with IE - web pages load fine)  Just rebooted server, will run updates again.  Shrug.
July 2nd, 2015 8:00pm

Reboot seemed to have worked.  41 updates, downloading now.  Still strange it did not work the first time.
July 2nd, 2015 8:02pm

Anyone have thoughts on this issue?

July 3rd, 2015 9:50pm

I'm in the same boat as JasonPiercey, trying to decide the best approach, but with 15 users.  Like Jason, I've already offloaded Exchange to Office 365.

The major difference for us is that we also have a a W2K8R2 box on the domain running SQL Server 2008R2 Standard.  If I decide to start from scratch and just recreate users in WSE2012R2 and then join the W2K8 box to the WSE domain, am I asking for trouble with SQL database ownership and permissions?

Thanks for any input.

July 10th, 2015 12:55pm

You would be better served by starting a new thread and add if the 8r2 box is the only other server, is it the DC etc.
July 10th, 2015 12:59pm

You would be better served by starting a new thread and add if the 8r2 box is the only other server, is it t
July 10th, 2015 1:53pm

Larry - you saw my other post from yesterday and commented.  Thanks for that.  I am now mid-migration and having a difficult time with the replica domain controller.  Problems with SYSVOL replication.  I'm not an advanced DC and GP expert so this is challenging for me.  I am thinking perhaps the clean install of Server 2012 R2 would be better.  I only have 8 clients systems.  I am migrating to new hardware.  I see how I could transition to a clean install and not go down the rabbit hole any further...  I really only have a few concerns that I was hoping you would comment on:

1) Domain name - should I configure a new domain name on the new server, or use the same as the old?

2) User profiles - on the client machines, the user profiles for the old domain would need to be preserved, including all the software and settings.  How exactly would I transition these profiles to the new server/domain?

3) File permissions on server - I can copy all of the shared files from the old server to a USB hard drive. How can I preserve permissions?  Would I want to preserve them, or would this cause issues on the new server?

So what would your recommendation be?  Forge ahead and correct the DC / GP issues (I can post dcdiag and other information) or go clean?

Thanks - really lost sleep on this one last night heading into my scheduled day 2 of this migration!

August 23rd, 2015 11:03am

Larry - you saw my other post from yesterday and commented.  Thanks for that.  I am now mid-migration and having a difficult time with the replica domain controller.  Problems with SYSVOL replication.  I'm not an advanced DC and GP expert so this is challenging for me.  I am thinking perhaps the clean install of Server 2012 R2 would be better.  I only have 8 clients systems.  I am migrating to new hardware.  I see how I could transition to a clean install and not go down the rabbit hole any further...  I really only have a few concerns that I was hoping you would comment on:

1) Domain name - should I configure a new domain name on the new server, or use the same as the old?

It does  not matter.  A fresh install is a new entity regardless of name.  Pick one you like.

2) User profiles - on the client machines, the user profiles for the old domain would need to be preserved, including all the software and settings.  How exactly would I transition these profiles to the new server/domain?

Two ways. 1. Manually copy them out before you disjoin, or as domain or local admin copy them out after you join the new.  The latter is a one copy step as you can copy directly from the old profile to the new.  IME all that one really needs are the desktop, favorites, and document folders plus any .pst or other app data that is critical.  But those are not lost in that you could find and copy after the fact as the local or domain admin. 

2.  A profile moving app such as the free one from forensit.com

http://www.forensit.com/

In any case do not forget to test logon to stations with the local admin.  That is:  logon to machine-name\local admin name and password, before disjoining.

3) File permissions on server - I can copy all of the shared files from the old server to a USB hard drive. How can I preserve permissions?  Would I want to preserve them, or would this cause issues on the new server?

Can't.  One of the reasons to migrate is to keep them because they are tied to the AD.  If you have simple file structure it is easy to create them on the new server before cut over day.  Just have all your users and security groups and all but the last few days data already on the new server.

So what would your recommendation be?  Forge ahead and correct the DC / GP issues (I can post dcdiag and other information) or go clean?

For 8 users and a simple file and folder structure I would start fresh.  The more complicated your permissions and folders get the more lean towards migration.  If you hate the existing server name and domain name leans towards fresh. If the existing won't pass the pre-migration checks but you really want to migrate check with www.sbsmigration.com, where last I knew the only requirement was no journal wrap.

Thanks - really lost sleep on this one last night heading into my scheduled day 2 of this migration!

August 23rd, 2015 11:27am

Thanks Larry.  When you run the Server 2012 Essentials Connector, it asks you to run it in the profile that you would like to migrate.  Can I run it while still joined to the old domain, and the connector will unjoin and join to the new, migrating all settings, data, etc?  Or do I need to unjoin and then run the connector to join?  Thanks again.

August 23rd, 2015 5:30pm

IMO it depends  on if you are doing a migration or a fresh install of the new server.  Again, afaik, for a new server in a new domain (even if the same name) without migration you must first disjoin from the old domain.
August 23rd, 2015 5:36pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics