Microsoft SQL Server Error 18456 Severity 14 State 1
I can't seem to connect to our local instance of Microsoft SQL Server. I obtained the followinf infrotmation from the error log and I can't find anything in regards to Severity 14 and state 1. If anyone has any information in regards to this it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

===================================

Cannot connect to 10.1.0.191.

===================================

Login failed for user 'kbober'. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

------------------------------
For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=18456&LinkId=20476

Server Name: 10.1.0.191
Error Number: 18456
Severity: 14
State: 1

Program Location:

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.CompleteLogin(Boolean enlistOK)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.ObjectExplorer.ValidateConnection(UIConnectionInfo ci, IServerType server)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.ConnectionDlg.Connector.ConnectionThreadUser()

June 19th, 2007 7:22pm

Ensure the database is set for both SQL and Windows authentication under SQL server / Properties / Security.
August 12th, 2009 4:56pm

Just thought I'd throw this out there, in the hope that it might help someone else.

I had trouble logging into the SQL Server (via management studio) with the SA account. I logged into the server using the domain admin and found the sa account disabled. I re-enabled the account and logged out.

I then found that I have State 1, Severity 14 on my sa account and still cannot log in. I searched much and found nothing. It dawned on me that the password might be the problem, so I went back in via domain admin and reset the sa password. I can now log in without problems.

Hope this helps someone.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 21st, 2009 9:41pm

tnx, it was really helpfull
April 20th, 2010 5:49pm

Another trigger for 18456 State 1 in 2008 R2 is the server is configured only for Windows authentication.  Turning on Windows+SQL server authentication will solve it.
February 6th, 2011 1:32am

how do you turn this on?
February 16th, 2011 6:08am

Travis,

Check the document http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188670.aspx & http://www.hosting.com/support/vps/windows/mixedmode for changing the authentication mode .

For more information on login failure check http://sql-articles.com/articles/troubleshooting/troubleshooting-login-failed-error-18456

February 16th, 2011 9:10am

Microsoft SQL Server Error 18456 happened to me in 2008 R2 with same detail described above.

Solution: If you are admin on this machine, Start SQL Server Management Studio in elevated mode (right click on Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, select Run as adminitrator) then try to connect to the SQL server. This solves the issue for me.

February 17th, 2011 5:14am

Thank you so much for responding, I was able to change the authentication mode to both Windows and Sql Server but i am still receiving this error. I even called my host server just to verify my username and password which are correct.

I think it is best to explain my situation.

I have my own website and was previously using SSMS 2005 with Visual Studio 2008 to connect to my host database. While trying to add SQL membershipprovider  I got an error stating that SQL 2005 needed to be upgraded for VS 2008 (Not sure the exact wording but something along those lines)

So I then updated to SSMS r2 2008

Im using the same credentials as 2005, I have set the r2 to use both Windows and Sql Authentication.I enter the same credentials as SSMS 2005 but now im getting the 18456 error.

Please help if you know wht is causing this!

Thanks again!!

March 11th, 2011 3:44am

Hi Travis,

Use this article http://sql-articles.com/articles/troubleshooting/troubleshooting-login-failed-error-18456 and see what state you are hitting for the error 18456 , this will help you to identify the issue and fix it. 

March 11th, 2011 4:48am

Thanks Leks, Unfortuately I had already read this page.

According to the link you sent me my error is either a state 2 or 5 (that is the error message i'm getting) stating "This state occurs when a user logs in with the name that doesn’t exist on the sql server. This error mostly comes in when users specify wrong user name or misspell the user name"

However I have already confirmed with the host company that my user name and password are correct.

The hosting company told me that it could probably be a setting on the SSMS r2 and I also think so because the credentials worked great using SSMS 2005.

Any other suggestions?

Also i dont know if this helps but I can log in to my SQLEXPRESS instance on laptop(local machine) with no problem. Just the host server that rejects me.

Thanks again!

March 11th, 2011 5:48am

If any one is having the same problem as I listed above I was able to work around this by going to my host sql server and create a new login for myself. I still have no idea why the upgrade from SSMS 2005 to 2008 r2 would not authenticate my old login. But any way I AM ABLE TO START WORKING AGAIN!! :)
March 13th, 2011 11:14pm

This fixed it for me. Had a clean install of SQL 2008R2 Ent and Server 2008R2. Would not let me login.

Running the Management Studio elevated fixed it. Could have thought of it myself, but my other SQL Server does not need it. Weird.

Maybe specifying a group in the Administrator page instead of a specific user makes the difference.

March 28th, 2011 11:23am

I even faced the same issue recently and was in search of the solution but did not find a proper solution .Just replying on this thread so that others may find this useful.

I faced this error because I had not created a BUILTIN\administrators user while installing.

If you have installed SQL in mixed mode you can login through 'sa' user and then create a BUILTIN\administrators as a login user.

Note: while installing always while creating the user, type "administrators" not "administrator" and then check names so that the right "BUILTIN\administrator" user will be created and will not face such issue.

July 5th, 2012 12:54pm

Hi All,

SQL Server 2008 r2

I have windows level permissions but i am unable to connect using windows authentication mode.

Please find the below error message and help me to resolve the issue

TITLE: Connect to Server

Cannot connect to (local).
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Login failed for user 'GVK\ITO.DatabaseL2'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18456)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=18456&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

Regards,

Brahma

May 7th, 2013 9:29am

Look in the SQL Server error log (or have the DBA to look there) to see what the state is, and the check these blog posts:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sql_protocols/archive/2006/02/21/536201.aspx

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/aaron_bertrand/archive/2011/01/14/sql-server-v-next-denali-additional-states-for-error-18456.aspx

May 8th, 2013 12:46am

hello

i install sql .in instaletion i write sqldb user for sql autentication . i chose mix aotentication.

bul when i want connect with sqldb i recive this error

state 1 , severity 14

when i connect with may domain admin  in security -> login -> i dont see sqldb

i type corect name and pass .

also i have another problem

i connect to sql with domain admin and i creat database and i creat vpxuser and

when i want creat a obdc connection

i recive this error

i dont see sqldb (user) in sql -> database -> security

please help me

June 17th, 2013 1:15pm

Microsoft SQL Server Error 18456 happened to me in 2008 R2 with same detail described above.

Solution: If you are admin on this machine, Start SQL Server Management Studio in elevated mode (right click on Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, select Run as adminitrator) then try to connect to the SQL server. This solves the issue for me.

Yep, for me too, thanks for reminding, once again :)
July 16th, 2013 5:53am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics