Microsoft Office patches taking too long to install
Hello everyone. There are 3 servers in our environment, which seems to have issues with MS Office patches. Normal MS Windows patches are installed as usual with no delay. But when we try to install Office patch it takes 5-6-7-8 hours to install 2MB patch. Same goes for Visual Studio redistributable patch. During the install it happens that we got message like "Installer no longer responding", then we hit Retry. Same issue happens when we try to install installation executable. For exam on one of those servers I tried to install MBSA and it took me 8 hours to perform it. Servers are all Windows Server 2003 SP2 32it. Does anyone has a clue what is the issue, causing such a slow response?
September 25th, 2011 9:32am

Start -> Run -> type services.msc -> Ok, scroll down to Windows Installer. Stop the windows installer service if it is running, set the startup type line to disabled. Click Apply-> Ok and reboot the server. Delete the contents of the temp folders viz: C:\Windows\temp C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\local settings\temp If you have anti virus software installed on Servers, Disable it for sometime. Now start the Windows Installer Service (You can just set the startup type to manual) and try installing patches. Also, do you see any warnings/errors in event logs? What version of MS Office is installed on the servers ? Thanks, Santosh (MCTS W2K8 AD and SCCM) To Infinity and Beyond
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 26th, 2011 2:24am

Hi, I would like to confirm that do you have this issue on all of these three servers? Generally, we can perform the following troubleshooting suggestions to troubleshoot the Windows Update issue: Suggestion 1: Temporarily disable firewall and antivirus program to test the issue. Suggestion 2: Disable Windows Update service, rename the folder %windir%\SoftwareDistribution and restart the Windows Update service. Suggestion 3: Reset Windows Update components. For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article: How do I reset Windows Update components? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058 If the issue persists, you’d better submit a new question to Microsoft Office forum which is the best resource for further assistance. Microsoft Office for IT Professionals http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/officeitpro Thanks for your understanding! Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 27th, 2011 4:31am

Start -> Run -> type services.msc -> Ok, scroll down to Windows Installer. Stop the windows installer service if it is running, set the startup type line to disabled. Click Apply-> Ok and reboot the server. Delete the contents of the temp folders viz: C:\Windows\temp C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\local settings\temp If you have anti virus software installed on Servers, Disable it for sometime. Now start the Windows Installer Service (You can just set the startup type to manual) and try installing patches. Also, do you see any warnings/errors in event logs? What version of MS Office is installed on the servers ? Thanks, Santosh (MCTS W2K8 AD and SCCM) “ To Infinity and Beyond… ” On next patch wave I will give it a try. Office 2003 is installed on the machines. No errors/warnings, no machine hung, nothing. If you have 8-9 hours 2 MB patch will be installed eventually :D.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 28th, 2011 3:49pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics