Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 BPA - Backup not performed????

Have followed all of the recommendations her in regards BPA Error, like adding Hyper-V into the registry. Then scheduled Server Backups that seem to be running as the date keeps changing.

So why again today I am getting the BPA error "One or more virtual machines have not been backed up in the past week.", when it has been backed up successfully the last three days according to the wbadmin console.

All of the trouble shooting documents I have read say this is so easy to schedule a server backup of the VM's and I thought it was but because I am still getting the BPA error I am thinking that either all of these articles are wrong or there is more to it that I have not found. But if I cannot find it here, where would it be?

Mark M.

November 21st, 2014 5:38pm

Hi,

Do you have correctly register the Hyper-V VSS Writer?

-------

To register the Hyper-V VSS writer with Windows Server Backup, follow these steps:

1.Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

2.Locate the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

3.Right-click CurrentVersion, point to New, and then click Key.

4.Type WindowsServerBackup, and then press ENTER.

5.Right-click WindowsServerBackup, point to New, and then click Key.

6.Type Application Support, and then press ENTER.

7.Right-click Application Support, point to New, and then click Key.

8.Type {66841CD4-6DED-4F4B-8F17-FD23F8DDC3DE}, and then press ENTER.

9.Right-click {66841CD4-6DED-4F4B-8F17-FD23F8DDC3DE}, point to New, and then click String Value.

10.Type Application Identifier, and then press ENTER.

11.Right-click Application Identifier, and then click Modify.

12.In the Value data box, type Hyper-V, and then click OK.

13.On the File menu, click Exit.

Windows Server Backup now will show the Hyper-V sub-tree in Different Options > Custom > Add Items

------

Do you have backup? What is you wbadmin command?

A technet article about VM backup with wbadmin

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2013/02/25/backing-up-hyper-v-virtual-machines-from-the-command-line.aspx

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 21st, 2014 7:39pm

Hi Mark,

As you mentioned you are using  hyper-v 2012R2 host , without GUI right ?

>>So why again today I am getting the BPA error "One or more virtual machines have not been backed up in the past week.", when it has been backed up successfully the last three days according to the wbadmin console.

Please try to use the command below to check if there is any error during backup on hyper-v host :

Get-WinEvent -LogName "Microsoft-Windows-Backup"

Best Regards

Elton Ji

November 24th, 2014 6:39am

Good Day,

Mickael, Yes I have check my registry to make sure that the Hyper-V VSS writer was enabled.

Elton, When I run the Get-WinEvent -LogName "Microsoft-Windows-Backup" I get that the

TimeCreated                     Id LevelDisplayName Message
-----------                     -- ---------------- -------
11/25/2014 7:44:31 AM           99 Information      A scheduled backup has been configured for this computer.
11/24/2014 9:28:06 PM           14 Information      The backup operation has completed.
11/24/2014 9:28:06 PM            4 Information      The backup operation has finished successfully.
11/24/2014 9:00:04 PM            1 Information      The backup operation has started.
11/23/2014 9:26:25 PM           14 Information      The backup operation has completed.
11/23/2014 9:26:25 PM            4 Information      The backup operation has finished successfully.
11/23/2014 9:00:04 PM            1 Information      The backup operation has started.
11/22/2014 9:29:03 PM           14 Information      The backup operation has completed.
11/22/2014 9:29:03 PM            4 Information      The backup operation has finished successfully.
11/22/2014 9:00:05 PM            1 Information      The backup operation has started.
11/21/2014 9:18:57 PM           14 Information      The backup operation has completed.
11/21/2014 9:18:57 PM            4 Information      The backup operation has finished successfully.

But yet I still have the error that I get:

Problem:
One or more virtual machines have not been backed up in the past week.

So what else can it be???????

November 25th, 2014 12:52pm

Mickael,

I forgot to ask about the "Windows Server Backup now will show the Hyper-V sub-tree in Different Options > Custom > Add Items"

I do not see that when I launch the Windows Server Backup.  Is that on the left hand side menu item?

I have not rebooted the server after I changed the registry, is that what I need to do in order for that to take place?

Mark

November 25th, 2014 1:00pm

Good Day,

Since last week we have rebooted this server and it still is giving me the BPA results with the backup not being done.  When the server backup is clearly running.

Mark

December 1st, 2014 1:32pm

Hi Mark,

Could you please check the VM state when backing up the VMs (compare with the state before backing up)via the command below :

get-vm | ft

Best Regards

Elton Ji

December 1st, 2014 2:48pm

Elton Ji,

I have these scheduled to run the Windows Backup at 1:00 AM.  If I run the Get-vm | ft I get the following;

When running the server backup in customer we are now only backing up the SmarterMail at this time.

Mark

December 8th, 2014 4:03pm

Hi, I have same problem. You solved? Thank you
August 7th, 2015 3:12am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics