Microsoft HIS 2013 - Replacing COM.CFG

Hello Technet,

I have the following setup :

• 2 Microsoft Host intergration 2013 servers (1 primairy and 1 secundairy )
  • Windows server 2012 R2
  • Each server has around 150 printers, they are diffrent.

I've encouterd a problem while starting the Microsoft SNA manager tool on the secundairy server. When pressing the button for the manager tool it just do's nothing (No errors in eventlog), except for adding an instance of MMC.EXE in task manager. When opening MMC and then add the Snapin "Sna manager", after the selection of the config file locaiton MMC.exe hungs and i am forced to kill it.

I've checked the folder rights, services and their service accounts and so far i can see everything is the same as the primairy HIS server.

Both servers are functioning correctly, all prints are printing as they should. I can change the settings within SNA manager on the primairy server but it just bugs me why sna manager wont work on the secondairy server :(. I guess the config file is currupt or something.

My question is,what is the best practice ? Is it possible to copy the COM.CFG file from the primairy server to the secondairy server and overwrite it without any problems? Or shall i rename the COM.OLD to COM.CFG so that the old config ( 2 days older so it's no problem ) will be the main config file, and should i do this on the primairy server aswell ?

Thanks in advance!

M.

March 30th, 2015 5:53am

The only read/write copy of the HIS COM.CFG is located on the Primary HIS Server. Whenever a configuration change is made it is made to the copy on the Primary HIS Server, even if you made the change from SNA Manager on the Secondary HIS Server. After the configuration changes are made, the Primary HIS Server sends an update to the Secondary servers to let them know a change has been made. The Secondary HIS Servers will connect to the COMCFG share on the Primary HIS Server and then copy the new COM.CFG to its \config folder.

Since things are running OK and you can make configuration changes from the Primary HIS Server, odds are that the COM.CFG is not corrupted.

You could try making a test change from SNA Manager on the Primary HIS Server and then see if the COM.CFG is updated on the Secondary HIS Server. This will indicate that the Secondary HIS Server is getting the notifications that changes have been made and it is copying the updated file locally.

I assume that if you are logged into the Secondary HIS Server that you can connect to the \\primaryHISservername\comcfg share. If not, maybe this is part of the problem. Also, you could try running Process Monitor while trying to open SNA Manager to see if that gives you any additional clues.

Thanks...

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 30th, 2015 2:33pm

Dear Stephen,

Thanks for your reply, it's a lot more clearly to me now.

I made some changes on the primairy HIS server configuration and it succesfully transferred to the Secondary server. I will run process monitor later on the day to check for additional clues.

Regards,

M.

March 31st, 2015 2:47am

I used PERCMON to search for some clues, on the primairy server i saw ole32.dll is beeing used to start MMC.EXE and afterwards the Plugin loads from the SNA config file. This is however not the case on the secondairy. I googled on that but the only thing i could find are Windows 2008 sources regarding memory leaks, which i checked and it's not the case.

Because the server is in production enviroment i will try to reboot it upcomming weekend to see if that solves the issue.

Regards,

M.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 1st, 2015 8:13am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics