Microsoft 2003 Enterprise Sp2, changing registered product key
Hi, I am trying to chnage the product key of one of my servers (OS version above) I had found the following information, which I have tried. To change you’re current PID: 1. Click Start, and then click Run. 2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK. 3. In the left pane, locate and then click the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents. 4. In the right pane, right-click OOBETimer, and then click Modify. 5. Change at least one digit of this value to deactivate Windows. This is key, modify the first one to AA, make sure you know what it was originally – you will need it in for step 12. Leave regedit open. 6. Click Start, and then click Run. 7. In the Open box, type the following command, and then click OK. %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a 8. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows, and then click Next. 9. Click Change Product key. 10. Type the new product key (I would use the new R2 key) in the New key boxes, and then click Update. When you get to the previous window, close product activation. 11. Return to regedit. In the left pane, locate and then click the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents. If not currently open. 12. Change the first digits back to what you noted in step 5. 13. Close regedit. 14. Click Start, and then click Run. 15. In the Open box, type the following command, and then click OK. %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a 16. This time it should say you are already activated, click OK. You can now install R2 without having to type in a new key and it will work nicely. The problem I have is when I follow these instructions and run msoobe.exe it just comes up saying windows is already activated, there is no option to enter the new key. Any ideas Please ....!?!?!
July 20th, 2010 2:05pm

Hello, the way you have described, applies to Volume licensing, is that the case?Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 20th, 2010 2:06pm

Hi, I am trying to change the windows product key, we had previously licensed windows using a private technet account and my company now has a generic account so we are changing the license. Appreicate your help
July 20th, 2010 2:26pm

Hello, as far as i know Technet licensed versions can't be changed to production ones. To be sure contact Microsoft licensing support in your country.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 20th, 2010 3:36pm

Hello Andy-Hunt, The steps listed above only allow you to change from One volume license key to another volume license key. You cannot change from one channel type to another channel type with 2003. So you cannot change a product key from volume to retail; from OEM to Volume; from Retail to OEM to give some examplesThanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Volume Activation documentation on TechNet http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dd197314.aspx http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd996588.aspx VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
July 21st, 2010 4:10am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics