Messing with SMTP, Active Directory and domain controller....
Hi guys, I'm responsible for a SAP development training server. I'm a SAP expert, and not a Windows Server expert. So please forgive me should I ask dummy questions here... The server is a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine, and is connected to AD and a domain controller (let's say domain.com). This is where the problem starts.... I set up SMTP to be able to send out mail from within SAP. Works great, as long as we don't send e-mail to domain.com, in which case the outbound mail gets stuck in the queue. I already worked through to the cause of this. I found a message from smtpsvc in the event log: Message delivery to the host '192.168.241.4' failed while delivering to the remote domain 'domain.com' for the following reason: The remote server did not respond to a connection attempt. Sure this fails, as 192.168.241.4 is the domain controller for domain.com, and not the domain.com mail server, which is outside of our own network (with GoDaddy). So how do I let the SMTP server know that outbound mail to domain.com shall go to GoDaddy, and not the domain controller? I have no access to the DNS server. I also don't want to generally route domain.com to GoDaddy (for example via the hosts file), as this might have unwanted effects on SAP NetWeaver. I just need to restrict this connection to port 25 and/or the SMTP server. Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated a lot! Jan
June 5th, 2012 10:33pm

Hello Jan, I suggest you post your query here Regards, Ravikumar P
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 6th, 2012 1:24am

Hi, If you have completed the SMTP server setup, you could do the telnet command test to verify the SMTP connection. There is a link for your reference: Title: How to Use Telnet to Test SMTP Communication URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa995718(v=exchg.65).aspx By default, the SMTP server will works properly for the internal use only. If you would like to make it works properly for external domain, I think you need to add your domain name in the public DNS server so that the domain name could be resolved. Just like the Exchange server, if you would like to publish to the external, Internet MX record is necessary. I noticed that you would like to restrict the connection to port 25 or SMTP server. So Im not sure what you would like to do towards this situation. If its for the Exchange server, I think you could follow the EXRAPULs suggestion to ask your inquiry in the Exchange Server Forum. Regards, JamesJames Xiong TechNet Community Support
June 7th, 2012 4:29am

Hi James, Thanks for the quick reply. We have no exchange server, just the domain controller, and the dev server. I've already diagnosed with telnet and smtpdiag. SMTP connection stands, and works properly for all mail excluding to domain.com. Our mail server is with GoDaddy, so if we update public DNS to our local domain.com, we won't get any more email, as we have no mail server of our own, and our website would also be dead. On our local dns server, domain.com resolves to '192.168.241.4' instead of GoDaddy. Therefore SMTP can't connect to domain.com. I hope this explanation makes the situation a bit clearer. Since we don't use Exchange, do you think it really makes sense asking in the Exchange forum? Best wishes, Jan
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 7th, 2012 4:58am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics