Message about Wxp.exe
After rebooting a server with Server 2003 O/S and logging in as admin, I get a message "Wxp.exe encountered a problem and needed to close..." Is this Windows related or a potential virus? Thanks.
September 10th, 2010 8:56pm

do you mean winxp.exe? http://www.auditmypc.com/process/winxp.asp
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 10th, 2010 9:03pm

Afraid not, the message is definitely "Wxp.exe encountered a problem..." I'm worried that it might be virus-related. Thanks for responding.
September 10th, 2010 9:53pm

do you have current virus signatures and have you scanned for viruses?
September 10th, 2010 10:50pm

Yes, we use a Symantec Enterprise product. The definitions were dated yesterday. I ran a scan today with no issues.
September 10th, 2010 11:20pm

try running this Process Explorer tool. it may help you determine what program is using wxp.exe. it would, of course, need to be running. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
September 13th, 2010 10:31am

Thanks for the advice and the link. I'll give it a try.
September 13th, 2010 4:21pm

Hi, In this case, we need to determine if Wxp.exe is harmful or not. Would you please try to search “Wxp.exe” by Windows Search or check the Processes tab of Windows Task Manager and let us know the file path? Please also upload the result of Process Explorer and System Information for analyzing. For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you. You can upload the information files to the following link. (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft") Workspace URL: https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=ec50aeed-0750-4637-ae71-5a2043a1fca1 Password: 9vqUq#qPU) Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken. Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Meanwhile, please note that files uploaded for more than 72 hours will be deleted automatically. Please ensure to notify me timely after you have uploaded the files. Thank you for your understanding. Process Explorer ======================== 1. Download and run Process Explorer from the link “Roy Mayo” provided. 2. Click File and select Save as to save it as .txt file. 3. Upload it to the link I provided. System Information ======================== 1. Click “Start”, type in “msinfo32” (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and then press Enter. 2. Choose “Save” from the File menu and save it as an NFO file. 3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder". 4. Send the compressed file to the above link. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 14th, 2010 9:49am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics