Memory leak in 'Proc' and 'Toke' pools.
We're running Server 2003 x64 Service Pack 2 at my company, and generally have a lot of processes being kicked off every day due to some distributed data processing that we do. Every couple days the commit charge fills up and we have to restart the machines. I've been trying to track down the problem for the last couple days using everything I can find (poolmon, process explorer, WinDbg, perfmon, etc), and have discovered that simply starting processes is enough to leak small amounts of memory in the 'Proc' and 'Toke' tagged pools that you can see in poolmon. A simple test that I can do is run a batch file which simply xcopy's a text file over another text file forever and it leaks a few dozen meg a minute in commit charge, and smaller amounts in 'Proc' and 'Toke'. The best part is, for 'Proc' you can see it has LARGE numbers of allocations, but almost no frees, ever. Depending on how long I let my dumb batch run, it gets to 100,000's of allocs and single digit amounts of frees. So, something on the system is keeping windows from releasing the memory involved with opening new processes, but I can't figure it out. At the moment I'm trying to set up a remote kernel debugging situation so I can break on ExAllocatePoolWithTag, but I'm hoping someone here can give me a clue before I have to go that far. Thanks in advance!
July 16th, 2009 2:36am

Ok, just in case anyone else has this problem, the drivers aksdf.sys and hardlock.sys from Aladdin Knowledge Systems was causing these pools to leak for every process started. Removing them has fixed this particular leak.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 16th, 2009 8:36pm

Hi, We need to analyze the memory dump file to find the root cause of this problem. As it is not effective for us to debug the crash dump file here in the forum, if you want to know the root cause and the resolution, I would like to suggest that you contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607 Hope the issue will be resolved soon. Thanks. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
July 20th, 2009 9:04am

Waurelius, How did you go about removing these drivers? Were there devices to uninstall from Device Manager? Or from Add/Remove programs? Or did you simply delete the files? Thanks
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 30th, 2010 4:02pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics