Memory Pressure Protection
If Memory Pressure Protection was activated and dropped connections how would we tell? We have a customer on Win2008R2 who has a re-occuring issues where tcp connections to SQL server are being dropped. We want to rule out MPP as a cause. We’re assuming if MPP triggered and dropped the connections it would report to the Windows Event log. What would we look for in the Windows Event log to confirm this? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974288
January 28th, 2011 6:10am

Hi Brendan Okay i am not sure were to look in the Win Event Log but i think i can help you rule out MPP or rule it as the problem :) I think checking to make sure everything is configured correctly is a good start :) MPP will kill all TCP connections and SYN request, but the profile settings and the Port Exemption settings will determine whether to drop or not for the private interface and with port exemption which ports are to be exempted on the Public Interface so that not all the TCP Connections and SYN Requests r dropped. So if the customer had this configured properly and makes sure that MPP is set up correctly with proper profile settings and or port exemption settings then it should be fine and can be ruled out, if not the it most probably is the reason for the dropped TCP connections. I hope this helps :]tech-nique
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 28th, 2011 1:20pm

Hi, Thanks for the suggestion, but this is a production server. We can't justify changing settings, adding exemptions etc unless we know that MPP is the problem. Because the problem is intermittent, lack of the problem occurring for a period of time is not positive identification that the problem is solved. Can someone either confirm that MPP does not log when it kills TCP connections, or advise where it does log. Brendan
February 1st, 2011 12:50am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics