Member server system time not sync
I have AD Windows Server 2003 PDC running on Hyper-V. This server at Data Centre and we have a second,third AD and member server at branch office. Previously, there were report that windows time between branch office AD and Member server and AD at Centre was not synch. So, I decided to disable integration services for time synchronization for AD which runnning on Hyper-V and installed with Dimension 4 (time synchronization). It is work for 4 months and now time synch issue between branch office and Data center server appear again. At branch office server: - I run net time server - Could not locate a time-server.More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3912. - I run net time /querysntp - The current SNTP value is : PDC server on Hyper-V - I run w32tm /monitor - It is show delay +476ms delay - I run w32tm /config /syncfromflags:domhier /update - This key is either set to "NT5DS" if you're in an AD - HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters - I run w32tm /resync /rediscover - Sending resync command to local computer...The computer did not resync because no time data was available The time still not sync, please help.
September 8th, 2010 8:54am

Hi Suriya25, Please check if you are able to telnet your PDC on port 123 from your client computer. telnet <ip address of pdc> 123Thanks and Regards, Mukesh. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 8th, 2010 10:29am

Hi Mukesh, I remote to AD branch server and then try to telnet 192.168.122.1 123. It it failed. Connecting To 192.168.122.1...Could not open connection to the host, on port 123: Connect failed About port 123, then i need to check with network engineer to verify if they allow it
September 8th, 2010 11:20am

Please check with your network team as NTP uses port 123 for time synchronization.Thanks and Regards, Mukesh. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
September 8th, 2010 11:33am

Hi, I would like to confirm the following questions first: 1. If all the member servers or only one member server cannot sync the time? 2. When did the issue start to occur? 3. What event errors about the time sync can be viewed in Event Viewer? Generally, the third party security software, such as antivirus program and firewall may cause such issue. You may disable them to check the result. If it does not work, I also would like to suggest you try the Microsoft “Fix it” tool to reconfigure an authoritative time server from the following link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816042 If the issue persists, would you please send me the following information for analyzing. For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you. You can upload the information files to the following link. (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft") Workspace URL: https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=2ad6f9ce-8936-42cf-b21e-21271fee88d9 Password: ]Y2*tdPRW1y]W Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken. Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Meanwhile, please note that files uploaded for more than 72 hours will be deleted automatically. Please ensure to notify me timely after you have uploaded the files. Thank you for your understanding. Please download Microsoft Network Monitor from the following link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=983b941d-06cb-4658-b7f6-3088333d062f&displaylang=en 1. Run Network Monitor and start capturing. 2. Try to run w32tm \resync to reproduce this problem. 3. Stop capturing, save the result and upload to the link I provided. Please also run the W32tm tool and upload the time.txt and time1.txt for our further research. W32tm /query /status /verbose >>time.txt W32tm monitor >>time1.txt Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 8th, 2010 12:35pm

Thank Arthur, 1. If all the member servers or only one member server cannot sync the time? - It was happened to all servers in Branch office, AD server and Member server 2. When did the issue start to occur? - This problem occur when we intoduced new Windows 2003 AD server which running on Hyper-V at Data Centre. 3. What event errors about the time sync can be viewed in Event Viewer? - There is event ID:36 Source:W32Time,Desciption: The time service had not synchronize the system time for 86400 seconds I tried to use Fix Tools on affected server, after run it, It show that solve the problem but actually it doesn't. I not sure if i able to reproduce the problem since yesterday I transfered the PDC roles to one of AD server at branch office due to request from the IT manager. However, I saw your post and I'm interested to find out what is the root cause, I transfered back the PDC to original AD server in Data Centre. I will try my best to provide information to you.
September 9th, 2010 6:01am

Hi Arthur, I had uploaded the files, however for w32tm /query - it show that /query is unknown command
September 9th, 2010 6:39am

Hi, The following parameter was first made available in the Windows Time client versions of Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008. If you are running the previous operating systems, it cannot be recognized. For more information, please read: Windows Time Service Tools and Settings from the following link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773263(WS.10).aspx w32tm /query [/computer:<target>] {/source | /configuration | /peers | /status} [/verbose] According to the Event ID and the Time1.txt log, this issue should be caused by a network connectivity issue or a problem with the time source. For more information, you may check: Event ID 36 — Local Time Synchronization from the following link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc756447(WS.10).aspx I also realize that telnet <IP address of PDC> 123 was failed. I would like to double check that have you temporarily disabled the security programs which may block the port 123? After searching for the error message “The computer did not resync because no time data was available” after you ran w32tm /resync command, I find a Microsoft KB article may be useful for you. Please refer to the following link and modify the group policy to troubleshoot this issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929276/en-us Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 9th, 2010 12:42pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics