Member of Administrators group but no admin rights
I have a problem with the 2008 R2 domain in that users that are members of the domain\Administrators group do not have administrator rights when they log on to the server either directly or via remote access. I have just encountered this problem myself which resulted in a situation where I couldn't apply new ACL settings to a folder after removing inherited settings as I didn't have access. This resulted in a situation where I couldn't close the window and had to shutdown the task the messy way. There must be something simple I have overlooked that is preventing proper membership of the domain admin groups. Thanks, Rich.
August 18th, 2010 4:47pm

assuming you are referring to a member server, you would need to create a global group and place it in the local administrators group of that server, not use the domain level builtin administrators Roy Mayo | MCTS • MCSE | USA
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 18th, 2010 4:56pm

is it the domain admins group or the builtin domain level administrators group to which you refer? Roy Mayo | MCTS • MCSE | USA
August 18th, 2010 5:00pm

Howdie! On 18.08.2010 15:47, Richard Kavanagh wrote: > I have a problem with the 2008 R2 domain in that users that are members > of the domain\Administrators group do not have administrator rights when > they log on to the server either directly or via remote access. > > I have just encountered this problem myself which resulted in a > situation where I couldn't apply new ACL settings to a folder after > removing inherited settings as I didn't have access. This resulted in a > situation where I couldn't close the window and had to shutdown the task > the messy way. Is that just with NTFS permissions? Did you take away access rights so that even the built-in admin wasn't able to access those files? If so, taking ownership might help. Is there anything else you have noticed that would lead to that conclusion? Cheers, Florian Microsoft MVP - Group Policy (http://www.frickelsoft.net/blog)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 18th, 2010 5:11pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics