Meeting Space for Win2K8?
Can I expect to get a Vista Client and a Win2008 Beta 3 Server to participate in a Meeting Space session? It doesn't look like the Meeting Space apps available on Vista are present in the Win2K8 Beta 3 that I've installed. If not, what is the Road Map for Meeting Space in particular and collaboration in general w.r.t. Win2008 and Vista? e.g. Windows Live Messenger? Many thanks, Terry
September 21st, 2007 11:18pm

Hi Terry- Windows Meetings Space is currently only available on certain Windows Vista SKUs. We do not have any plans to carry this functionality over to Windows Server 2008. It would be very useful for to if you could explain your reasons for having WS08 participate in such a collaboration scenario. Are you looking for supporting users running in TS sessions? Thanks,Ian
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 28th, 2007 4:09am

Hi Ian- A couple of reasons to allow at least some Server 2K8 SKU's to use Windows Meeting Space. 1) Small businesses (like mine) may often use the Server as a workstation especially since it sports the Vista interface. Personally I like the fact that I can use this machine for work since it's always on. 2) Many IT shops could use a USB headset to plug into a server rack to do support work. Meeting Space would be ideal in this environment. As a former CIO for 22 years I would consider this a neat little bonus. I could understand Microsofts' reluctance to run this in a TS mode or on Enterprise editions. But this application would be useful in many scenario's where the Server 2K8 is runningas the "Standard" configuration. My company PlasmaLogic, often develops software on these configurations and having access to "user applications" on the server "console" would make our life a whole less complicated. Just a thought; Mike Wittman
April 19th, 2008 12:14am

Ian, Since we have limited hardware available to our developers,we put Win Server 2008 Std on developer desktop PCs. This allows us to run server software, like SQL Server, but at the same time we need to be able to run standard 'desktop' only software. Not having Net Meeting or an equvalent ona server OS is killing us. PLEASE get the developers to think about the little guy who doesn't have the traditional desktop/server setup. Thanks, Mitch
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 29th, 2008 8:03pm

My response is similar to the other two so far in this thread. I'm a database administrator working for a software development company. I have a MSDN TeamDeveloper Edition and use Windows 2008 Enterprise Server x64 edition from it as my desktop. Granted my desktop machine isa dual proc, dual core, 64 bitxeon with 10 GB RAM but as a DBA it works for me. Not having Windows Meeting Space or NetMeeting leaves me stuck with using something like WebEx (which I don't like). My company is thinking of dropping WebEx so I mentioned Meeting Space. But, since every developer is usinga Windows Server of some sort for their desktop it isn't going to happen. Even if it isn't bundled with the server it would be nice to download and use it for situation that the one we and many development companies and teams face. My company is moving towards people being able to work from home and it would really help on that front.Joe Moyle
September 26th, 2008 9:50pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics