Meaning of TextQualified attribute in flat file connections

Can anybody explain what the meaning of the TextQualified attribute on a flat file connection is? I am importing delimited flat files where text columns are not qualified by quotes. If I use the Suggest Types button in the Flat File Connection Manager Editor, it sets TextQualified to True for all columns. Importing works fine than, but it also does with TextQualified = False. So what's the difference?

Hans Geurtsen.

September 5th, 2005 8:44am

If TextQualified=TRUE then a string surrounded by quotes will get interpreted as just the string. In other words the following 2 entries in the file will be loaded as the same:

ThisIsAString
"ThisIsAString"

So it depends on the nature of your data as to whether the TextQualified property has any effect or not.

-Jamie

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 5th, 2005 9:21am

If you have a comma delimited file, and some of you fields are text that could contain a comma ',' then there is two ways to get around this. 1. Qualify the entire field, which means wrap it with some character ", ', :, |, etc... 2. Escape that character, so for a comma, double commas would mean one linline one.
So in the connection, you can specify that the file could have text qualifiers that wrap string values.
September 28th, 2009 7:28pm

I still cant understand for example if I have a flat file as 

-------------------------------------------

| "Cloumn1", "Column2"               |

| "ThisIsString1","ThisIsString2"    |

-------------------------------------------

What do I need to set on the field , do I need to set the text qualified to true or false if I want the out put to be whiout the double quotes?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 29th, 2015 12:00am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics