Maximum length of Azure objects / passwords?

Is there a URL defining the maximum lengths of Azure objects (e.g.  servername, database name, tables, etc ) and passwords?

TIA,

edm2

September 10th, 2015 10:00am

You can check the MS Azure Subscription and Service Limits page

However there is nothing about name limits (just for AppInsights).

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 10th, 2015 10:59am

I was faced to this question 4 months ago when design a Azure tenant.

Unfortunately, no document about this

September 10th, 2015 11:24am

Samir,

Thank you very much. I recall seeing a URL (wish I kept it) that indicated the maximum password length for Azure was 16 characters.... (could have been an old doc too)

** I found this but it applies to Azure AD which may not be used in a given setup

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/jj943764.aspx

edm2

• Edited by edm2 14 hours 43 minutes ago
September 10th, 2015 12:29pm

Samir,

Thank you very much. I recall seeing a URL (wish I kept it) that indicated the maximum password length for Azure was 16 characters.... (could have been an old doc too)

** I found this but it applies to Azure AD which may not be used in a given setup

edm2

• Edited by edm2 Thursday, September 10, 2015 4:31 PM
September 10th, 2015 4:28pm

Samir,

edm2

• Edited by edm2 Thursday, September 10, 2015 4:31 PM
September 10th, 2015 4:28pm

Hi,

Azure provides a huge number of services, from Azure AD (which you are referencing) to IaaS (VMs...), PaaS(Web apps, SQL, no SQL...). Each service uses a large number of objects. So, it will be not easy to find a document referencing all the objects. For the 16 password limit, this is the case of Azure AD users passwords.

September 11th, 2015 4:12am

It differs from object to object. for example, to create a cloud service, the maximum character is 63 and to create a VM the maximum characterset is 15. it goes like that. I don't see any documentation around this. as far as the passwords are concerned, this also varies from object to object. for instance, VM password cannot exceed 123 characters.

hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by edm2 5 hours 52 minutes ago
September 11th, 2015 4:43am

I will maybe write an article referencing this, and which can be updated by all users.
September 11th, 2015 4:57am

It differs from object to object. for example, to create a cloud service, the maximum character is 63 and to create a VM the maximum characterset is 15. it goes like that. I don't see any documentation around this. as far as the passwords are concerned, this also varies from object to object. for instance, VM password cannot exceed 123 characters.

hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by edm2 Saturday, September 12, 2015 1:27 AM
September 11th, 2015 8:42am

hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by edm2 Saturday, September 12, 2015 1:27 AM
September 11th, 2015 8:42am

I hope you do write such an article. From the answers to my question I realize that the max lengths and requirements (e.g. for passwords)  vary from object to object but that is no excuse for them not being documented!

edm2

September 11th, 2015 9:28pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics