Maximum Number of Asynchronous Responses (5) has Been Reached

Hello Everyone,

I am working on a SCOM migration from SCOM 2007 R2 to 2012 R2. For auto-ticketing we are integrating SCOM with BMC event manager (BEM) using msend utility which I will fire for alerts meeting a specific criteria using subscriptions.

The integrations works fine and I can see events reaching BEM as expected too.

The problem comes when I have many alerts getting generated simultaneously results in alerts getting dropped at SCOM itself. By further investigation I found event ID 21410 in MS opsmgr logs which says Maximum Number of Asynchronous Responses (5) has Been Reached.

As for every alerts that comes in SCOM meeting specific condition triggers a command channel based notification, there is a limitation to this that only 5 commands could be executed at a time by default. This means that commands for triggering scripts will get dropped it number of Asynchronous Responses is already 5.

This is a serious cause of concern for us as we dont want the alerts to get dropped L

As a workaround we can increase the Maximum number of Asynchronous Responses by creating a registry entry as below.

On the MS box open up RegEdit. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Operations Manager\3.0\Modules.

1. Create a new subkey called Global (if it does not already exist)
  2. In Global create another new subkey called Command Executer
  3. In Command Executer create a new DWORD called AsyncProcessLimit
  4. You can set the decimal value between 1 and 100.
  5. Restart the Health Service to allow the new settings to take effect.

Kindly let me know if anybody has tried it before.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Prajul Nambiar

May 26th, 2015 2:52am

Hi,

According to our internal resources, I found several success cases resolved this issue by using the method you mentioned.

Under this key create a new subkey called Global

Under the new Global subkey create another subkey called Command Executer

Under the Command Executer subkey create a new DWORD value AsyncProcessLimit

For the value of AsyncProcessLimit you can set a minimum of 0x00000001 (Strongly not recommended) and a maximum of 0x00000064 (100)  (again definitely not recommended).

So, if you wanted to increase the number of async command notifications from 5 to 10 the key would look like:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Operations Manager\3.0\Modules\Global\Command Executer\AsyncProcessLimit REG_DWORD:0x0000000a

For more information, please review the link below:

Some more Command Notification Tricks and Tips

http://blogs.technet.com/b/cliveeastwood/archive/2008/04/16/some-more-command-notification-tricks-and-tips.as

May 27th, 2015 10:01pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics