Mapping to remote dfs - network location cannot be reached.

I have a two-way transitive forest trust between two domains (eg domain a and domain b)

If I map a drive to a domain a based dfs structure from domain b, specifying my credentials from domain a, then it appears to connect ok and will display all the folders I'm authorised for access.

However, if I click on one of those folders, I get a Location is not available dialog box up, which the following text... The network location cannot be reached.  For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help."

I've seen articles about it being the PC I'm logging on from that is not authenticating, if this is true, or if not, what are my configuration options.  It must be possible under a trust relationship.

Regards

Ian

May 19th, 2015 3:02pm

Hi Ian,

Above all, please test to access each server target in that DFS namespace to see if you can access cross domain.

For example, a DFS namespace \\domainA\root\folder, which has 2 server targets \\serverA\folder and \\ServerB\Folder.

Try to access both in domainB with NetBIOS name to see if you can access. 

Also test to use DNS in domainA instead of local DNS in domainB during the access to see the result. 

Meanwhile if DFS is not using FQDN yet, change to FQDN to see if issue could be resolved:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/244380

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 20th, 2015 5:22am

I can map a drive manually to a share on the server that the dfs points to no problem.

However, I use the FQDN to do this.  Netbios won't work.

Ian

May 20th, 2015 6:36am

Hi Ian,

Thanks you for the reply.

Then please test to change DFS to use FQDN as the article I provided in the end of my last reply.

If there is anything unclear please let me know. 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 20th, 2015 10:16pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics