Mapped drives either disappear or deny access
I suggest you follow these steps: 1- Write down the required user share and security permissions on your shares and mapped drives 2- Delete the current shares and mapped drives on both servers (your DC and member server) 3- Create brand new shares and mapped drives either on your DC or your new member server whatever you prefer 4- Give the required permissions (share and security permissions) to your domain user accounts (not local accounts) and better yet use security group accounts to assign sharing and security permissions to your domain user accounts following Microsoft rule AGUDLP 5- Ask your users to log in by using their domain user accounts in the format (DomainName\UserName or UserName@DomainName) This will create a fresh environment for your users to access the shares and mapped drives and you avoid the headache of troubleshooting your current misconfigured shares and mapped drives. Mahair Ashaboon MCSE & Network+ www.extra-it.com
June 2nd, 2012 1:04pm

Old server 2003 and DC power supply fried. Tech installed new hardware and Server 2008. He left it as a member server and created local user accounts. He transferred the data from the old server's hard drives to the 2008 server. He also gave the new server the same name as the old server and the old server's ip address. I repaired the old domain controller and brought it back up. I changed the 2008 server name. All of the shares on the 2008 server were shared using the local user accounts. I added their domain user accounts to the the same shares. Since then a couple of people either lose access to the mapped drives with error drive not available or the get a message about attempt to compromise security. Could this be caused byhaving the same username as a local and a domain account?Wade Harris
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 2nd, 2012 5:57pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics