Mapped Drives GPO failing on only 1 client, Shares accessible by ip but not name!
Working with Server 2008 R2 and the client is a laptop with Win 7 x64. I have one laptop that no matter which user logs in their mapped drives to shares do not work. The map policy that is set to replace appears, but when you attempt to open the drive it gets "this file is currently not available for use by this computer" error. The map policy that is set to "update" doesn't even show up as a drive. Via the command prompt, I can ping the server by name and ip. If I manually search to the share through "\\server\users\username" it fails. But if I do "\\192.168.1.1\users\username" it opens right up! I have removed the laptop from domain. Changed the name of laptop. Removed the laptop from the server under users and computers. Then I added laptop back to the domain. When I add the laptop to the domain i get an error stating "the attempt to change the Primary Domain Name to "" failed so it will stay as "example.example.org". With reboots in between all steps. Nothing changes with the mapped drives. This same laptop was working with previous user until today, but they would have to disconnect and reconnect to the network a couple times before drives become online. Today I came to add a new employee (that will be replacing previous user) to the laptop. Added the new user to server and created profile on laptop. Added her as local admin and all server rights match everyone else. Now the shares aren't available for either user on this pc but by ip manually. This doesn't necessarily sound like its an issue with the GPO. This same laptop can view network printers in the add network printer window but cannot connect to either one! Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
October 10th, 2012 2:28pm

Please make a ipconfig /all, and be sure the DNS's match your DC (and the dhcp too). A rogue router with dhcp in exemple could make you such symptom. The fact you get a domain's join error is leading me to think of the dns error's too.MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring Want to follow me ? | Blog: http://www.jabea.net | http://blogs.technet.com/b/wikininjas/
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 10th, 2012 9:33pm

Issue resolved. I had work on it for quite awhile. Of course ipconfig/all was one of the first things I did and it matched just fine. Come to find out employee had laptop at home and someone must have got on it messing around thinking they knew what they were doing. The advanced DNS settings inside the adapter settings had been tampered with This is what your defaults should look like: And this is what I found the settings to be on the laptop: I had noticed once while doing an nslookup one device returned a ".linksys" on the end. That explains why. Set settings to how they should be and the mapped drives appeared online, and printers could be connected.
October 11th, 2012 9:33am

Thank you for sharing your experience and solution.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 11th, 2012 10:55pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics