Many physical disk to one in Hyper-V

Right now I run some server that I like to put them all in Hyper-V

But one is my own mediaserver that have many physical disk in RAID 0.

I have RAID 0 just to have one big harddrive for my files

I don't know what is the best way to do that in Hyper-V

Do I have to create 3 virtual harddrive of my 3 harddrives and then connect them to one server and then create a RAID 0?

July 5th, 2015 2:08pm

I have RAID 0 just to have one big harddrive for my files

Raid 0 would be a poor choice in general as there is no fault tolerance. Lose any disk and the whole thing is gone.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 5th, 2015 2:25pm

The information you gave is not great, so don't really know what you mean. Need to know more to answer your question. But I will try to give you some information:

No, you should never create more Virtual Hard Disk files for your Virtual Machine(s) to get RAID 0. A guest OS (VM) should never establish RAID because it is usesless. You should always configure RAID at the physical layer, not the virtual layer. Most often a RAID configuration is hardware-based, managed by your RAID controller and presented as a single disk to your Operating System. Unless your configured a software-based RAID set through Windows.

Hyper-V has nothing to do with RAID or no-RAID. Just make sure your server has a RAID 0 set with the Operating System on it and the Hyper-V role enabled. Then create a single VHD for each VM. Of course you can add additional virtual hard disks to your VMs for certain purposed. But not for a RAID configuration.

July 5th, 2015 2:29pm

Dave:
Yes I know Raid 0 have a no fault tolerance but I have more then one copy of the file on other server too.

I think it is a less chance that both my original and my backup get problem when the both is not even in the same building and if I get problem with the one of them I don't do anything until I get it fix.

I don't need any super security when I'm talking about what I have at home :)

Boudewijn:
Sorry about the poor information, English is not my first language and is not so easy to describe technical english so people understand what I mean.

Well yes the best is to use Hardware RAID card but is hard to find a good cheap RAID card, that why I use Software RAID instead.

Many motherboard have cheap RAID system inside but I don't know how good it is.

That I was thinking about use is that I have one harddrive (HD1) for my Virtual Machines and 3 harddisk (HD2,HD3,HD4) as a RAID that I have my files on that I connect to one of my Virtual Machine.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 5th, 2015 5:11pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics