Manually upgraded 2012 SP1 agents left in Pending Management

Hi

We have a problem with 800 agents that are still under the Pending Management and Requires Updates after the SP1 upgrade. SCOM Systems was all upgraded first, then we updated the SCOM agents to SP1 through SCCM deployment.  The version number for the agents are all 7.0.9538.0 now. This is data taken from SCOM console. We also checked a few local agents.

I believe the problem might be that we changed the Remotely Installed flag to 1 with an SQL query. This was done to change the primary management server from the console. The upgrade are successful. But we still have close to 800 agents under "Requires Updates" in Pending Management. Changing the RemoteInstalled flag back to 0 does not help.

The few servers that was installed lateley and before the SCOM upgrade are marked as manually installed, and they seems to be working as intended. No pending upgrades required.

I really hope we don't have to uninstall all the agents and then install them again. As that might wipe the existing data that's accosiated with the agents? And it might cost us some extra hours of work.

Any of you have an idea of how to fix this? It would be much appreciated!

July 2nd, 2013 1:24pm

If you install a client manually, you will have to upgrade it manually too and hence they will not appear under Pending Management node (for upgrades). For manually installed clients you will have to look the versions under Agent Managed node and upgrade manually. 

Did you remember installing Update Rollup2 for OpsMgr 2012 SP1 ? UR have associated agent upgrades too. Part of the confusion with client upgrades with CU2 has been that while it does change some files, it does not increment the version, it still is 7.0.9538.0. A good place to look for such version issues is under Agents By Version under Operations Manager --> Agent Details:

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 2nd, 2013 2:35pm

If you install a client manually, you will have to upgrade it manually too and hence they will not appear under Pending Management node (for upgrades). For manually installed clients you will have to look the versions under Agent Managed node and upgrade manually. 

Thanks for the feedback, Pranav!

This is exactly my problem. The agents was marked as Remotely Installed, even if they were not. We can't upgrade them remotely. We did it "manually" with SCCM deployment. So, SCOM now sees the agents with new versions, but they are still present under Pending Required Update list because I had the RemotelyInstalled flag active at the upgrade time.

What I believe might work is to remove the Remotely Installed flag in the database, so they are correctly displayed as manually installed (this is already done). Upgrade the systems to SP1 UR2 and then deploy the new agent with SCCM again.

Does this seem like a good plan? Or are there simpler options to remove the agents under the Required Updates queue?

July 2nd, 2013 3:31pm

Sounds like a plan. You might already have seen this but posting the link for ref: http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2010/02/20/how-to-get-your-agents-back-to-remotely-manageable-in-opsmgr-2007-r2.aspx

Personally, I like to push and manage OpsMgr clients via the console and not ConfigMgr, makes upgrades easier.

One more note, do not push more than 200 clients at the same time. I know you have lot of clients to cover, but target doing like 50 a day. In any case, your clients are 100% working, its just that they are flagged as pending upgrade.

--Pranav

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 2nd, 2013 5:24pm

check Patch List for agents and if it's OK then Reject Update
July 3rd, 2013 9:31am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics