Manually setting up a scheduled task in Server 2008 always result in wrong domain name in credential.......
OK. This problem not only baffles and annoys me, but it is causing a major headache..... And it is NOT A MIGRATION PROBLEM. So read on.....Background:I added a Server 2008 machine to the existing 2003 domain, made it a DC, seized all FSMO. Everything works fine. Migrated sharepoint 3, file server.... etc to the new machine. All went fine.Now when I tries to create a manual task (Systemstate backup to be exact) in the Task scheduler, it always gives me a non-existing domain name so saving the newly created task fails.For example, if I click on createa basic task and goes into the task properties, the Running credential will show up as <correct domain>\username and everything is fine. If I go in and change the running credentials, it will pop up the box allowing me to find a domain credential (which shows the correct info). When I select the domain credential from the box and click ok, underneath the security options, the running credential will change to <Non-existing domain>\user, which obviously fails to save (not to mention run.....).The non-exisitng domain name in this case is actually an all upper case form of my company name.....Please help! I am posting this here because I only see this behavior in the Task Scheduler so far and not sure if it is entirely AD related......
June 11th, 2008 6:15am

Thanks for your post and please allow me to ask some questions in order to give you perfect answers.1) What made you seize the FSMO roles instead transferring when your existing Win 2003 DC was online ?2) Is you Win 2003 DC is still online or its decommissioned ?3) Please check the Event id and let us know your feed back in case if you have any errors.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223787Thanks Syed
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 11th, 2008 10:26am

Actually, I used the wrong word there.....1) I should have said "Transfered" instead of seized. In fact, I followed the steps in the KB you provided to transfer the roles....2) The Win2003 DC is still online as migration is not completed. It is still a DC.3) The problem is that there are no errors in the event logs......
June 12th, 2008 4:11pm

Thanks for reply.Can you please check the following. make sure that thetask scheduler service is Running andalso make sure that the local system account is selected, and that the Allow service to interact with desktop check box has a check mark.Syed Khairuddin
June 12th, 2008 8:18pm

Task Scheduler service is running. However the settings are all greyed out in the property pages.Credential is set to Local System. However, allow service to interact with desktop is not set. Since the settings are all greyed out, I cannot toggle the interact with desktop setting to on.......
June 13th, 2008 5:28am

hmmm there seems to be a problem with permisson check the privilages of the user you want to tun the task schedular service.try logging with the domain administrators account and checkhttp://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/library/4c61bec0-bfb2-4c7a-8dc1-d0223c4876971033.mspx?mfr=trueSyed Khairuddin
June 13th, 2008 2:56pm

Sorry took so long to respond as I was out town.....Logged on using the domain administrator account (my prior login account also had domain admin priveledges) and the result is the same. All options on the Log On page via Task Schduler Properties is greyed out.....
June 17th, 2008 6:24am

Task schedular service can be run in command prompt as well using at command .Can you try running the task using interactive mode ?http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313565/en-usThanks Syed Syed Khairuddin
June 17th, 2008 9:11am

Yes. I understand that the task CAN BE manually programmed using AT command. It is just that programming with the AT command is a major hassle while the gui is much simpler and more versatile in terms of setting triggers and options.....And I am trying to solve the problem instead of side-steppign with a kludge.....
June 18th, 2008 9:47am

laim said: OK. This problem not only baffles and annoys me, but it is causing a major headache..... And it is NOT A MIGRATION PROBLEM. So read on.....Background:I added a Server 2008 machine to the existing 2003 domain, made it a DC, seized all FSMO. Everything works fine. Migrated sharepoint 3, file server.... etc to the new machine. All went fine.Now when I tries to create a manual task (Systemstate backup to be exact) in the Task scheduler, it always gives me a non-existing domain name so saving the newly created task fails.For example, if I click on createa basic task and goes into the task properties, the Running credential will show up as <correct domain>\username and everything is fine. If I go in and change the running credentials, it will pop up the box allowing me to find a domain credential (which shows the correct info). When I select the domain credential from the box and click ok, underneath the security options, the running credential will change to <Non-existing domain>\user, which obviously fails to save (not to mention run.....).The non-exisitng domain name in this case is actually an all upper case form of my company name.....Please help! I am posting this here because I only see this behavior in the Task Scheduler so far and not sure if it is entirely AD related......I just experiencesd same problem.Im logged on as domain admin, and like you said, basic task will run. If i try to change anything in the task, it asks for credentials. It works if i leave the wrong uppercase domain name WRONGDOMAIN\administrator (same domain name except last letter missing) and just give password. but if i browse for the correct user in domain realdomain\administrator it states invalid account. tried with administrator@realdomain with no luck.smells like a bug ?!brgds
October 7th, 2008 3:18pm

I'm having the same issue on my domain.System Info:Domain name is domainname.netDomain Name (Pre-Windows 2000): DIFFERENTNAMEDomain Functional Level: Windows 2003Forest Functional Level: Windows 20033 total DCs. 2 Windows 2003 1 Windows 2008Windows 2008 Server holds all FSMOsServer Running Task is a Windows 2008 ServerWhen I go into Task Scheduler I can create a new task just fine. Looking at the properties of the Task I see that it is running the task using DIFFERENTNAME\Admin. If I click Change User or Group, change From this location from the Server name to Entire Directory, search for my other admin account and click Check Names, it finds everything great. When I click OK it changes the run as field to domainname\admin2. Of course the domain name does not exist so I can save changes, nor will the task let me. I have tried search on the exact domain name, typing in the account with both the Pre-windows domain and the AD domain name (admin2@domainname.net and DIFFERENTNAME\admin2) and just clicking OK without checking and everytime it returns with the domainname\admin2.Is this a bug? Is there a KB Fix coming soon or already one out? I have also found out recently that the EXACT SAME thing happens with the Task Scheduler with Vista SP1. HELP.
November 10th, 2008 10:28pm

Check out this threadhttp://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverManagement/thread/3d9e45be-0225-46f3-b1b6-504915896605/Hot fix available athttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/953153
April 7th, 2009 9:39pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics