Managing folder permissions on clients from Server 2003
I'm pretty new to all of this so please bear with me. Our network is set up so all of the machines are as similar as possible. I have some software that's deployed but I need members of one group to be able to read and write to a folder within this software while members of another group can't be able to even see it. We have roaming profiles so these permissions need to be consistent over all of the machines on the domain and with about 600 computers then doing them one at a time is obviously out of the question. I also have an issue that a single machine on our network needs to grant a single user read and write access to a folder inside 'Application Data' within the AllUsers profile. I have tried manually assigning her the privileges but upon a restart of the machine she loses them again. This is probably down to some software we have that manages our network for us just re-enforcing the permissions it thinks the machine should have as part of it's start-up routine. This software is pretty comprehensive but it's also just a front-end for Active Directory and other Windows services so I think if I change it 'the way it should be done' then this software will be quite alright with it, if you know what I mean. I've been Googling this for ages but I think maybe I just don't have the correct combination of keywords as I haven't really yielded anything, I would have thought that there were at least some other people out there who wanted to perform a similar kind of task, all I've found so far is guides on how to assign permissions on standalone machines.
November 10th, 2010 11:16am

Hi, I assume all the folders are you talking about (the "folder within this software" and the "Application Data") are local folders on client computers. If that is correct, you can test the following steps: Open Group Policy Management Editor, go to Computer Configuration --- Policies --- Windows Settings --- Security Settings --- File System, choose Add File, choose a folder and set permission you need. Apply the policy to the computers which need. Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 11th, 2010 2:43am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics