Managing User Permission after changing the user

Hi 

I have some files servers which i need to change users in some folders access lists.

to explain more; i need to change user1 from the NTFS permissions on every where that user has access and replace him with user2.

User1 and user2 are not in the same domain but the domain have trust relationship.

I was able to add NTFS permission through powershell but it was a pain, and did not work well.

I think the whole project is not complicated but it needs a complex script.

Can any body help with that p

July 30th, 2015 2:39pm

Take a look at the subinacl utility.

Other than that advice, this is not a "write a script for me" forum.

However, you can browse pre-written scripts here:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 30th, 2015 2:50pm

You should almost never add a user directly to an ACL.

In cases where the user is the absolute owner like how folders then  we usually change users by renaming the existing owner.  This then propagates to all objects. Apparently very few admins were awake when that was covered in class.

July 30th, 2015 3:00pm

thanks for your advise, 

But i did not meant to "write a script for me", i just wanted to start a topic and after gathering ideas start explaining more, as i mentioned in first post i have done some thing. i have almost finished 70% of the scripting my self by powershell which i preferred to share with others and complete it. cause i started this post some where else  i did not explain everything again.

any way thanks for your advise and please do not judge people by their first post.

July 30th, 2015 4:04pm

Take a look at the subinacl utility.

You can also browse pre-written scripts here:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter

July 30th, 2015 4:06pm

Thank you so much for your reply.

I Do agree with you, but unfortunately its a mess which i have inherited a few weeks ago.

I'm trying to implement AGDLP as soon as possible and change the entire solution, to explain e little more of my pain this is enough to tell that here are more than 1000 folders shared individually without using DFS and no documentation is available. :(

July 30th, 2015 4:08pm

Keep in mind that this forum is designed for answering specific questions.

Don't forget to ask your question.

July 30th, 2015 4:30pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics