Managing Software Updates

Hi All

Apologies for the noob question but ive just started using System Centre VMM to manage my Hyper-V Nodes. I am looking for a way to automate the Windows Update Process across not only my Physical hyper-V nodes but also all the Virtual Servers that I run across the Estate.

I understand that I can import a WSUS into VMM, sync the updates and create a Baseline, which works perfectly for my Physical Servers.

However, what would be the best way to manage updates against the same baseline for all the Hyper-V Virtual Machines? Is this done through VMM or Configuration Manager normally? Or would I simply add each individual Virtual Machine as an Infastructure server which would then allow me to run my baseline against it.

I have about 15 Hosts and 100 VMs across the Entire Estate, my goal would be to create a standard Baseline for All Systems and then bring them upto this level, and repeat this process on a periodic basis.

Any feedback greatly received.

Thanks

Daniel

January 30th, 2015 4:07pm

Hi Daniel,

You will have more control updating VM's with SCCM than VMM. So if you have an option to update VM's from SCCM, than do that and use VMM to update Hyper-V Host. This is the recommended approach, especially if you have any Hyper-V Clusters in your environment - you do not want to update all the nodes in a cluster at a same time.

You can connect the same WSUS server to SCCM and VMM, but remember to manage wsus configuration changes only from SCCM, not from VMM. There is a checkbox in VMM for "Allow Update Server configuration changes" which you would deselect.

Matej

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 31st, 2015 6:21am

Hi Daniel,

You will have more control updating VM's with SCCM than VMM. So if you have an option to update VM's from SCCM, than do that and use VMM to update Hyper-V Host. This is the recommended approach, especially if you have any Hyper-V Clusters in your environment - you do not want to update all the nodes in a cluster at a same time.

You can connect the same WSUS server to SCCM and VMM, but remember to manage wsus configuration changes only from SCCM, not from VMM. There is a checkbox in VMM for "Allow Update Server configuration changes" which you would deselect.

Matej

• Proposed as answer by Matej Klemeni Saturday, January 31, 2015 3:34 PM
January 31st, 2015 2:18pm

Hi Daniel,

Matej

Hi Daniel,

Matej

Hi Daniel,

Matej

Hi Daniel,

Matej

Hi Daniel,

Matej

Thanks for your assistance with this.
February 11th, 2015 4:21pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics