Managing SOFS in SCVMM 2012 r2

Hi,

i added a SOFS Cluster to SCVMM 2012 R2. I get "not responding" quite often. I assum the problem comes from the different NICs of the SOFS. We have been told that all NIC (MGMT NIC and Storage NICs) must be registered in DNS. So if you do a DNS querry sometimes you get the correct MGMT NIC but return values could also be from Storage NICs and there VMM won't be able to resolve the host.

My question: do I really have to register the storage NICs of the SOFS Cluster hosts in DNS?

July 24th, 2015 5:13am

Hi Sir,

>> I assum the problem comes from the different NICs of the SOFS.

Do you mean that you have configured more than one IPs for  " client access point " to connect SOFS .

That VMM server can't access each IP of SOFS ?

If the issue is related to the DNS recored , you can try to edit the hosts file to "limit" the VMM server only get one record .

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 27th, 2015 6:33am

Hi,

no there is just 1 NIC team confiugred for client access point. Tests I did indicate that VMM is having trouble with DNS resolution as from time to time it gets one of those storage NICs IPs. Of course VMM will never be able to communicate over them. But using hosts file is ... I cannot believe that this is the correct way to go.

That is the reason I am asking if I have to register the storage NIC IPs of the SOFS cluster in DNS. In a test environment I did not register those NICs and Hyper-V /SOFS work just fine. So now I do not understand where the recommendation is comming from. I would like to understand if it is truly necessary.

July 28th, 2015 3:55am

Hi Sir,

I tested in my lab (build a sofs cluster).

I found that the role will register cluster nodes' IP addresses in DNS .

If you mean these storage NICs' IP are used for the cluster's shared storage , these IP shouldn't be registered into DNS.

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 31st, 2015 1:39am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics