Management server not getting detected when running Network discovery in SCOM 2012 R2 UR7

Hi All,

I have this issue, Where i a not able to run Network device discovery using Discovery wizard using SCOM 2012 R2 UR7.

The issue was present when the server was running UR6, Thought it may fix after upgrading to UR7 But the issue still exists.

Has any one seen this issue before ?

The result is same when i select any resource pool. I have also verified all the resource pool has one MS in it as i have only one management server in the environment.

August 25th, 2015 11:18am

Hi

In SCOM 2012, A Management Server can only run one discovery rule. So if you already have one network device discovered, when you try and create a new discovery rule you won't have any Management Servers available.

You'll either need to:

- edit the original discovery rule to cover both network devices

- add another Management Server

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh278846.aspx

"Each management server or gateway server can run only one discovery rule. You specify a single management server or gateway server to run the discovery rule and a management server resource pool to perform the actual monitoring of the network devices."

Cheers

Graham

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 25th, 2015 11:49am

Hi Graham,

I am a big fan of yours. Seeing your threads from a long time but i noticed you were off for some time in Technet and it is good to see you back.

Excellent catch, Seems to work when i deleted the Discovery rule.

As you mentioned i already has a old rule. Also as you mentioned we add other devices or create another rule pointing to another MS if available. I was not aware of this but thanks.

I much don't work with network devices. 

Also i would like to know is there any impact on deleting the discovery rule once the Network device has been discovered ? Also what happens if i leave the rule as it is once i am done with the discovery ?

August 25th, 2015 12:32pm

Hi

It's good to be back ;-)

With regards to the discovery rule - you should leave this in place as it runs regularly. If you need to discover additional devices then add them to the existing rule. Don't delete the rule.

Regards

Graham

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 25th, 2015 1:13pm

Thanks Graham.
August 25th, 2015 1:21pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics