Management Studio Fails when added Integration Services step to SQL Server Agent Job

Hi,

I have two new servers I've setup with Windows Server 2012, SQL Server 2012 SP1, Visual Studio 2012 SP4. I've previously been on SQL 2008 and VS 2008 so this is new to me.

I am finding SSMS is throwing an exception on both machines when i do the following:

1. Go to SQL Server Agent | Jobs

2. Create a new Job.

3. Select Steps and click New Step

4. Change the job type to SQL Server Integration Services Package.

Following error occurs:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
------------------------------

The type initializer for '<Module>' threw an exception. (SqlManagerUI)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

The C++ module failed to load.
 (DTEParseMgd)

Index was outside the bounds of the array. (DTEParseMgd)

I also find if I take an existing job with SSIS package steps and attempt to edit those steps the same message appears. This issue happens on both my servers as they have been configured almost identically. This doesn't occur when selecting any other job type.

I've also tried installing cumulative update 8 in a hope that this may fix it but with no success.

As my entire environment is based around SQL Agents running SSIS i'm a little bit concerned, especially since I have some tight deadlines getting these servers running.

I have found nothing relating to this issue. Any help greatly appreciated.

Simon

Below is the detailed error message:

===================================

Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlManagerUI.DTSJobSubSystemDefinition.Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlManagerUI.IJobStepPropertiesControl.Load(JobStepData data)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlManagerUI.JobStepProperties.UpdateJobStep()
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlManagerUI.JobStepProperties.typeList_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.set_SelectedIndex(Int32 value)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.set_SelectedItem(Object value)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlManagerUI.JobStepProperties.InitializeStepCombo()
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlManagerUI.JobStepProperties.InitializeData()
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlManagerUI.JobStepProperties.OnInitialization()
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlMgmt.ViewSwitcherControlsManager.SetView(Int32 index, TreeNode node)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlMgmt.ViewSwitcherControlsManager.SelectCurrentNode()
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlMgmt.ViewSwitcherControlsManager.InitializeUI(ViewSwitcherTreeView treeView, ISqlControlCollection viewsHolder, Panel rightPane)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlMgmt.LaunchForm.InitializeForm(XmlDocument doc, IServiceProvider provider, ISqlControlCollection control)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlMgmt.LaunchForm..ctor(ISqlControlCollection control, IServiceProvider provider)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlManagerUI.JobSteps.editJobStep_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.RunDialog(Form form)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog()
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlMgmt.RunningFormsTable.RunningFormsTableImpl.ThreadStarter.StartThread()

The C++ module failed to load.
 (DTEParseMgd)

Program Location:

at <CrtImplementationDetails>.LanguageSupport.Initialize(LanguageSupport* )
   at .cctor()

Index was outside the bounds of the array. (DTEParseMgd)

Program Location:

at _getFiberPtrId()

March 22nd, 2014 6:37am

Create a Proxy account in SQL Server and use the account in "Run As" properties of the job step. Try once.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 23rd, 2014 12:23pm

Create a Proxy account in SQL Server and use the account in "Run As" properties of the job step.
March 23rd, 2014 9:42pm

If nothing helped then Why cant you try restarting the sql, If restart is allowed  ? Looks like something got hung related to agent or may be engine, just try restarting sql agent, then in worst case go for sql service restart, lets see if this helps.

Regards

Raju

March 24th, 2014 12:45am

If nothing helped then Why cant you try restarting the sql, If restart is allowed  ? Looks like something got hung related to agent or may be engine, just try restarting sql agent, then in worst case go for sql service restart, lets see if this helps.

Regards

March 24th, 2014 1:12am

As i've had no other feed back i've continued to try and resolve this myself. I am pretty surprised no one else has had the same issue.

I took a Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 server:

* Installed the SQL 2012 SP1 Database engine and Sql management studio

* Tried to replicate the above issue and couldn't (mean the issue was not there)

* I then connect to one of the other two problem servers with this new SSMS and the issue didn't present.

This tells me it's either an issue with Windows Server 2012 or something else i've installed on the machine which has broken SSMS.

To recap i've also installed on the problem servers:

* VS 2012 SP4

* Oracle Runtime 11gr2

* VS 2012 SSIS BI tools.

I suspect that the issue is related to the new SQL 2012 Package job steps having additional 'package sources' of SSIS Package Store and SSIS Catalog (which is the default). If for some reason the problem servers don't have SSIS Catalog as a value this would cause the error. However I have no way to check whether this is the case due to the error.

More help appreciated.

March 25th, 2014 8:45am

Hi,

Do you have CU3 for SQL Server 2012 SP1 installed on the server? It seems a known issue and has reported on Microsoft Connect:

SSIS projects and maintenance plans do not work after applying CU3 for SQL Server 2012 SP1

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/781921/ssis-projects-and-maintenance-plans-do-not-work-after-applying-cu3-for-sql-server-2012-sp1

Thanks.

March 28th, 2014 4:03pm

Hi,

I hadn't installed CU3 however as a test i tried installing CU4 and this didn't help. Since my first emails i have more issues that have brought a complete hault to the upgrade project.

If i double click on a package to run it manually I basically get the same issue. This means i have no way of running any packages except throught VS.

I've also found that regardless of the order of the software installs it still fails. It's related to SP1 of SQL and SP4 of VS.

I'm on Server 2012. When install in the following order SQL 2012, SQL SP1, VS2012, BIDS, VS SP4 i have no problem until VS SP4 is installed. If i install VS SP4 then BIDS it also fails at the last step. If i install all the VS and BIDS software first, then SQL then SQL SP1 it fails at the SQL SP1 step.

This means i could actually install everything and either ignore the SQL SP1 or the VS SP4 and i'd be fine however this is not really a solution as i will never be able to patch the software and once live this is very dangerous.

I am still surprised there is no obvious solution to this. I'm only installing MS software on a fresh box and only installing 5 pieces of software (including the SPs). I would have though if this was an issue others would have come across it too.

Has anyone else installed all these components and got them working on the same OS. I believe early on in my testing i installed these in Windows Server 2008 and didn't have the issue.

Regards.

Simon.

March 31st, 2014 9:58pm

Let us know if you see this issue in SQL 2014

you can create a SQL 2014 Virtual machine on Windows Azure - http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/free-trial/
or
You can download SQL 2014 from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/evalcenter/dn205290

Thanks
Sethu Srinivasan [MSFT]
SQL Server

April 9th, 2014 12:14am

Are install the new SQL Server 2012 or you upgrade from 2008 to 2012.

So, try unistall SSMS, and install it with the new service, because is releated to the user interface.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35575

April 9th, 2014 12:31am

Let us know if you see this issue in SQL 2014

you can create a SQL 2014 Virtual machine on Windows Azure - http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/free-trial/
or
You can download SQL 2014 from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/evalcenter/dn205290

Thanks
Sethu Srinivasan [MSFT]
SQL Server

April 16th, 2014 2:17am

Are install the new SQL Server 2012 or you upgrade from 2008 to 2012.

So, try unistall SSMS, and install it with the new service, because is releated to the user interface.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35575

This was a fresh install of 2012. I've tried unstalling SSMS, full uninstalls of SQL and many other things but they all end up with the same issue.

April 16th, 2014 2:18am

In the end we have given up with using Windows Server 2012 with BIDS.

I've installed Windows Server 2008 R2 and installed all the other MS 2012 software and have had no issue.

Later down the track we will do an OS upgrade and hopefully will not have any problems.

I'm pretty disappointed in this whole process. What we are trying to do is fairly straight forward but it must be that combination of software that's not typically installed.

Regardless we are utilising our new hardward and new versions of SQL Server, the SSAS cubes are about 20 times faster than the old ones so everyone is happy.

Thanks for all your assistance regardless.

Simon.

April 16th, 2014 2:31am

I've installed Windows Server 2008 R2 and installed all the other MS 2012 software and have had no issue.

Later down the track we will do an OS upgrade and hopefully will not have any problems.

I'm pretty disappointed in this whole process. What we are trying to do is fairly straight forward but it must be that combination of software that's not typically installed.

Regardless we are utilising our new hardward and new versions of SQL Server, the SSAS cubes are about 20 times faster than the old ones so everyone is happy.

Simon.

Simon.

We have exactly the same issue on SQL 2012 running on Windows Server 2012 R2.

It is a production server so I cant just downgrade windows to 2008 R2, and patches do not seem to fix it.

It is a fresh install not an upgrade.

David

January 30th, 2015 9:41am

We have exactly the same issue on SQL 2012 running on Windows Server 2012 R2.

It is a production server so I cant just downgrade windows to 2008 R2, and patches do not seem to fix it.

It is a fresh install not an upgrade.

David

Hi,

I never looked at this further. It seems strange that more people haven't reported this. I would have thought it would be fairly common to setup SSIS 2012 with sql 2012 and BI tools.

There must be something common to our setup that causes it to fail where others don't.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance but if you do get someone I'd very interested to find out. As you can see by this topic I exhausted all avenues.

Simon.

February 1st, 2015 10:29pm

I am encountering this issue as of last Friday (3/6/15). My packages execute fine directly under the SSIDB catalog but I cannot set up a SQL Server Agent job to run the packages with a job step of the type = SQL Servier Integration Package.  When I try to add a step with this type, SSMS just hangs.   I am running under SQL Server 2012 build 11.0.5548, and Visual Studio 2012.

I'll dig some more on the internet but if anyone has further info please respond. My next approach, I suppose, is to access / execute the packages outside of the SSIDB catalog from a file share.

March 9th, 2015 2:52pm

This error  is happened because the version of the MSSQL server management studio program is older than the Business Intelligence Data Tools that we installed in order to manipulate SSIS packages.

You can fix it by download the new MSSQL server management studio 2012 SP1 at:                 http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/1/E/01E0D693-2B4F-4442-9713-27A796B327BD/SQLManagementStudio_x64_ENU.exe

After that you can

-          Uninstalling MSSQL server management studio program

-          Or, you just need to run the downloaded package(SQLManagementStudio_x64_ENU.exe) then run install with the option of  New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to existing installation.

The installation will update all necessary library. After rebooting ther computer, the error will disappear.

April 20th, 2015 2:06pm

This error  is happened because the version of the MSSQL server management studio program is older than the Business Intelligence Data Tools that we installed in order to manipulate SSIS packages.

You can fix it by download the new MSSQL server management studio 2012 SP1 at:                 http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/1/E/01E0D693-2B4F-4442-9713-27A796B327BD/SQLManagementStudio_x64_ENU.exe

After that you can

-          Or, you just need to run the downloaded package(SQLManagementStudio_x64_ENU.exe) then run install with the option of  New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to existing installation.

The installation will update all necessary library. After rebooting ther computer, the error will disappear.

After that you can

I'm having the same problem, can't add new steps to a SQL job if these steps are of type SSIS package. I doubt this has anything to do with the SQL Server itself, but rather with Management Studio.

I have two SQL Servers in which I'm able to reproduce this:

1. SQL Server 2012 SP2 running on Windows 7 (my local dev server).

2. SQL Server 2012 SP1 running on Windows Server 2008 R2.

Even though I'm able to reproduce the problem from my local Management Studio, I'm perfectly able to modify/add SSIS steps to any jobs from the management studio that is installed on the server, which obviously has a different version than mine.

This is my local Management Studio version (crashes when adding/modifying SSIS steps): 11.0.5058.0

This is the server's Management Studio version (no crash when adding/editing SSIS steps): 11.0.3000.0

Do we have a solution for this?

June 4th, 2015 3:47pm

To resolve my issue I upgraded to Management Studio 2014 on my local device. I am able to set up SSIS packages as steps in the SQL Server Agent jobs now.  I also had to upgrade to VS Ultimate 2012 from an earlier version of 2012 because I was getting, when the job ran under SQL Server Agent, an error  stating that there was a version number mismatch within the PacketFormatVersion of the SSIS package. I think the net effect of this was to refresh my VS 2012 installation and the version mismatch error resolved itself.  
June 5th, 2015 12:39pm

I had the exact same problem.  I was able to run the SQL Management Studio installer and choose the 'repair' option.  After the repair completed, the problem went away.
June 17th, 2015 8:19pm

Can you download and install SQL Server Management Studio June 2015 Preview. Link: 

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=616025

Let us know if you still have issues

Thanks

Sethu Srinivasan [MSFT]

SQL Server

June 27th, 2015 2:41pm

Can you download and install SQL Server Management Studio June 2015 Preview. Link: 

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=616025

Let us know if you still have issues

Thanks

Sethu Srinivasan [MSFT]

SQL

July 23rd, 2015 12:55pm

I've had this same problem since November.  Nothing fixed it until installing the SSMS 2015 July preview.  Here is the page with information about the preview version of SSMS and it has this link to download the preview version of SSMS 2016.

I installed the SSMS 2016 along the side of SSMS 2012.  To open the 2016 version search for the program name "Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio".  The 2012 version is called just "SQL Server Management Studio"

July 30th, 2015 6:09pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics