Management Studio Crashing When Adding SSIS Step to SQL Agent Job

Hi

I am running Windows Server 2012, SQL Server 2012 SP2 CU2, SQL Server Management Studio 2012 and Visual Studio 2012.

I have existing SQL Agent Jobs that run SSIS packages and they all currently work. However, if I try to edit them or add a new job that uses a SSIS package Management Studio will crash.  I was having this problem a couple weeks ago when I was still on SQL Server 2012 SP1 CU9, so I updated to SQL Server 2012 SP2 CU2 and the problem went away for a couple weeks and I was able to add new SQL Agent jobs that run SSIS packages.  But now it issue is back and there are no new updates to try and fix it. Has anyone seen this before and found a reliable fix to it?

Steps to cause crash:

1) Open new SQL Agent Job

2) Select Steps and add a New Step

4) Change the job type to SQL Server Integration Services Package.

5) SSMS Crashes

Error Message Below:

===================================

The type initializer for '<Module>' threw an exception. (SqlManagerUI)

------------------------------
Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlManagerUI.DTSJobSubSystemDefinition.Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlManagerUI.IJobStepPropertiesControl.Load(JobStepData data)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlManagerUI.JobStepProperties.UpdateJobStep()
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlManagerUI.JobStepProperties.typeList_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.WmReflectCommand(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.SendMessage(HandleRef hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.SendMessage(Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ReflectMessageInternal(IntPtr hWnd, Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmCommand(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.CallWindowProc(IntPtr wndProc, IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DefWndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.DefWndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmCommand(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.RunDialog(Form form)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog()
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlManagerUI.JobSteps.newJobStep_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.RunDialog(Form form)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog()
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlMgmt.RunningFormsTable.RunningFormsTableImpl.ThreadStarter.StartThread()

The C++ module failed to load.
 (DTEParseMgd)

Program Location:

at <CrtImplementationDetails>.LanguageSupport.Initialize(LanguageSupport* )
   at .cctor()

Index was outside the bounds of the array. (DTEParseMgd)

Program Location:

at _getFiberPtrId()
   at <CrtImplementationDetails>.LanguageSupport._Initialize(LanguageSupport* )
   at <CrtImplementationDetails>.LanguageSupport.Initialize(LanguageSupport* )

Thanks,

Anthony

November 3rd, 2014 11:56pm

Hi Anthony,

Based on my research, it seems there are some issues that if SQL Server Management Studio 2012 (SSMS 2012) works on Windows Server 2012 along with Visual Studio 2012 and other software. As a workaround, you can install SQL Server 2012 Database engine and SSMS 2012 on Windows Server 2008 R2, then create new agent job to run SSIS packages. For more details, please review this similar thread.

In addition, about this issue, I recommend you submit a feedback to the Microsoft Connect at this link https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback . Your feedback enables Microsoft to offer the best software and deliver superior services, meanwhile you can learn more about and contribute to the exciting projects on Microsoft Connect.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 5th, 2014 6:26am

Hi Anthony,

Based on my research, it seems there are some issues that if SQL Server Management Studio 2012 (SSMS 2012) works on Windows Server 2012 along with Visual Studio 2012 and other software. As a workaround, you can install SQL Server 2012 Database engine and SSMS 2012 on Windows Server 2008 R2, then create new agent job to run SSIS packages. For more details, please review this similar thread.

In addition, about this issue, I recommend you submit a feedback to the Microsoft Connect at this link https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback . Your feedback enables Microsoft to offer the best software and deliver superior services, meanwhile you can learn more about and contribute to the exciting projects on Microsoft Connect.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

November 5th, 2014 6:26am

I ended up being able to work around this without having to recreate everything on a Windows Server 2008 R2. I did this by setting up an azure point to site VPN from my computer to the Windows Server 2012 hosted on azure.  I was then able to connect SSMS from my computer to the Azure VM allowing me to create and edit new SQL Agent jobs that run SSIS packages. Here are the steps to do this

1) Connect to the VPN from another machine besides the server.

2) Open SSMS using the runas.exe command with the Domain\User Name of a Windows account on the server.

- Ex. Runas.exe /netonly /user:DOMAIN\USER "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Ssms.exe"

2) Connect to the VM's Database Engine using its internal IP address and the port that SQL Server is listening on (default is 1433) and a SQL Login setup on the server.

-Ex IP, 10.0.0.1,1433

3) Create a new job with the type SQL Server Integration Services Package. Select the package source (SSIS Catalog). I could not get the server to be automatically discovered here so enter the servers internal IP address and select the package you want to run.

4) Right click the new SQL Agent Job and choose Script Job As, CREATE To, New Query Window. This is the script to create the SQL Agent Job and it needs to be edited to contain the Name of the server on the internal IP address that was used earlier.

5) Edit the @command= line of the script to use the server name. Change the highlighted part below to the server name.

- Ex . @command=N'/ISSERVER "\"\SSISDB\PACKAGELOCATION\"" /SERVER "\"10.0.0.1\"" /Par "\"$ServerOption::LOGGING_LEVEL(Int16)\"";1 /Par "\"$ServerOption::SYNCHRONIZED(Boolean)\"";True /CALLERINFO SQLAGENT /REPORTING E',

- Change to this

- @command=N'/ISSERVER "\"\SSISDB\PACKAGELOCATION\"" /SERVER SERVERNAME /Par "\"$ServerOption::LOGGING_LEVEL(Int16)\"";1 /Par "\"$ServerOption::SYNCHRONIZED(Boolean)\"";True /CALLERINFO SQLAGENT /REPORTING E',

6) Now change the name of the package in the script and run it. Now the new package can be edited in the GUI to change things like the schedule and alerts. Also you can edit any existing packages.

• Marked as answer by TrealTwan Thursday, November 13, 2014 11:32 PM
November 13th, 2014 11:30pm

I ended up being able to work around this without having to recreate everything on a Windows Server 2008 R2. I did this by setting up an azure point to site VPN from my computer to the Windows Server 2012 hosted on azure.  I was then able to connect SSMS from my computer to the Azure VM allowing me to create and edit new SQL Agent jobs that run SSIS packages. Here are the steps to do this

1) Connect to the VPN from another machine besides the server.

2) Open SSMS using the runas.exe command with the Domain\User Name of a Windows account on the server.

- Ex. Runas.exe /netonly /user:DOMAIN\USER "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Ssms.exe"

2) Connect to the VM's Database Engine using its internal IP address and the port that SQL Server is listening on (default is 1433) and a SQL Login setup on the server.

-Ex IP, 10.0.0.1,1433

3) Create a new job with the type SQL Server Integration Services Package. Select the package source (SSIS Catalog). I could not get the server to be automatically discovered here so enter the servers internal IP address and select the package you want to run.

4) Right click the new SQL Agent Job and choose Script Job As, CREATE To, New Query Window. This is the script to create the SQL Agent Job and it needs to be edited to contain the Name of the server on the internal IP address that was used earlier.

5) Edit the @command= line of the script to use the server name. Change the highlighted part below to the server name.

- Ex . @command=N'/ISSERVER "\"\SSISDB\PACKAGELOCATION\"" /SERVER "\"10.0.0.1\"" /Par "\"$ServerOption::LOGGING_LEVEL(Int16)\"";1 /Par "\"$ServerOption::SYNCHRONIZED(Boolean)\"";True /CALLERINFO SQLAGENT /REPORTING E',

- Change to this

- @command=N'/ISSERVER "\"\SSISDB\PACKAGELOCATION\"" /SERVER SERVERNAME /Par "\"$ServerOption::LOGGING_LEVEL(Int16)\"";1 /Par "\"$ServerOption::SYNCHRONIZED(Boolean)\"";True /CALLERINFO SQLAGENT /REPORTING E',

6) Now change the name of the package in the script and run it. Now the new package can be edited in the GUI to change things like the schedule and alerts. Also you can edit any existing packages.

• Marked as answer by TrealTwan Thursday, November 13, 2014 11:32 PM
  • Unmarked as answer by TrealTwan 8 hours 57 minutes ago
November 13th, 2014 11:30pm

This error  is happened because the version of the MSSQL server management studio program is older than the Business Intelligence Data Tools that we installed in order to manipulate SSIS packages.

You can fix it by download the new MSSQL server management studio 2012 SP1 at:                 http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/1/E/01E0D693-2B4F-4442-9713-27A796B327BD/SQLManagementStudio_x64_ENU.exe

After that you can

-          Uninstalling MSSQL server management studio program

-          Or, you just need to run the downloaded package(SQLManagementStudio_x64_ENU.exe) then run install with the option of  New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to existing installation.

The installation will update all necessary library. After rebooting ther computer, the error will disappear.

• Edited by Tri Phuc Vo Monday, April 20, 2015 2:11 PM
  • Proposed as answer by Tri Phuc Vo Monday, April 20, 2015 2:11 PM
  • Unproposed as answer by TrealTwan 7 hours 5 minutes ago
April 20th, 2015 2:05pm

This error  is happened because the version of the MSSQL server management studio program is older than the Business Intelligence Data Tools that we installed in order to manipulate SSIS packages.

You can fix it by download the new MSSQL server management studio 2012 SP1 at:                 http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/1/E/01E0D693-2B4F-4442-9713-27A796B327BD/SQLManagementStudio_x64_ENU.exe

After that you can

-          Uninstalling MSSQL server management studio program

-          Or, you just need to run the downloaded package(SQLManagementStudio_x64_ENU.exe) then run install with the option of  New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to existing installation.

The installation will update all necessary library. After rebooting ther computer, the error will disappear.

• Edited by Tri Phuc Vo Monday, April 20, 2015 2:11 PM
  • Proposed as answer by Tri Phuc Vo Monday, April 20, 2015 2:11 PM
  • Unproposed as answer by TrealTwan Saturday, May 02, 2015 12:00 AM
April 20th, 2015 2:05pm

I installed the latest SSMS version from the link you provided but SSMS still crashes when I try and add an a job step of the type "SQL Server Integration Services Package".  Maybe the SSDT version that I have is causing the problem?

SSMS Version:  11.0.5058.0

SSDT Version:  11.1.50318.0

May 1st, 2015 8:09pm

I have finally found a fix for this by using the SSMS 2016 preview version (I found this information in a similar thread).  You can run install this a long the side of SSMS 2012.

Here is the page with information about the preview version of SSMS and it has this link to download the preview version of SSMS 2016.

I installed the SSMS 2016 along the side of SSMS 2012.  To open the 2016 version search for the program name "Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio".  The 2012 version is called just "SQL Server Management Studio".  After that just create the SQL Agent Job with a step to run an SSIS package from the SSIS Catalog like normal.

-Anthony

• Marked as answer by TrealTwan 8 hours 58 minutes ago
  • Edited by TrealTwan 8 hours 56 minutes ago
July 30th, 2015 6:14pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics