Management Server Goes grey
I have 3 management servers in my environment. 2 of the servers are fine but the 3rd one keeps going grey. If I restart the health service it will come back online for a minute and then goes grey again. I look in the operations manager logs and don't see anything that suggests why it is doing this. Is there a place that I can start to look?
August 4th, 2015 4:33pm

Hi Speirus,

Try to flush cache for this management server:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh212884.aspx

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 4th, 2015 9:53pm

Try uses Show Gray Agent Connectivity Data task to identify why an agent is gray.

1. Open the Operations console and click Monitoring.

2. Navigate to the Operations Manager\Agent Details\Agent Health State view. 

3. In Agent State from Health Service Watcher, click the agent you want to check connectivity for.

4. In the Tasks pane, select the task Show Gray Agent Connectivity Data.

5. The Run Task Show Gray Agent Connectivity Data dialog box appears. Click Run.

6. The Task Status dialog box appears. When the task is completed, you can click Copy Text or Copy HTML and paste the task output in the appropriate tool for further review.

The task output will identify the following information:
The last time a heartbeat was received from the agent.

Whether the System Center Management Health service is running on the agent.

Whether the agent responds to ping.

The last time the configuration on the agent was updated.

Possible reasons that the agent is unavailable.

The management server that the agent reports to.

Moreover, pls. refer to the support document of "Troubleshooting gray agent states in System Center Operations Manager"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2288515?wa=wsignin1.0

Roger

August 4th, 2015 10:41pm

I flushed the cache on the server and it went grey shortly after. I run the agent check and get this which I am not finding much info on.

Error Number: 46 Unable to open WMI Namespace 'winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\WXXXXX\root\cimv2'. Check to see if the WMI service is enabled and running, and ensure this WMI namespace exists

August 5th, 2015 9:30am

Is WMI OK on this system? Can you connect to root\cimv2 and run some basic WMI queries with wbemtest?
August 5th, 2015 1:03pm

Yes wmi is ok on this system. I have 3 management servers and this is the only one that is having issues.
August 5th, 2015 4:18pm

How about restart System Center Data Access service and System Center Managment Configuration? check any error log.

Roger

August 6th, 2015 3:41am

Hi sperius,

I read recently the "SCOM Unleashed" book and here is what I found, it could be relevant:

"During initial lab testing with Operations Manager, there was a situation where the same system ended up being both agentless and agent monitored. The condition caused problems resulting in a greyed out management server; this was resolved by deleting both the agentless monitored and the agent monitored system from the console and then re-adding the system as agent monitored. "

Have you checked this?

August 6th, 2015 3:58am

Hi There,

I heard from one of my friend on a similar SCOM issue.

MS finally found the issue that there was a patch causing such issue.

So i would suggest you to post, If there were any changes done on the MS where it is graying out ?

Can you Open Windows powershell and paste the below command inddividually on each MS 

and validate if the same patches are installed ? or is there any thing extra in onr or some missing on the other etc ?

Get-Hotifx

Post me the results.

Also which OS version are the MS's running ?

August 6th, 2015 4:17pm

Hi

Just another hint, you might wanna check the AMSRP http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rslaten/archive/2013/05/30/management-servers-turn-gray-when-they-are-removed-from-the-amsrp.aspx . Are there ANY Eventlog Warnings or Errors in the OperationsManager Eventlog?

Cheers,

Stefan

August 10th, 2015 5:54pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics