Mac remote desktop client maps the ~ key incorrectly

Here is the steps to reproduce the problem:

• Install the Microsoft Remote Desktop client on a MacBook 
  • Change the layout on the MacBook to Dvorak
  • Remote desktop into a Windows machine 

Once connected to the Windows machine pressing the ` key will instead input a |.  It seems from experimentation that ` is fully mapped to | for all functions.  

This is a real blocker for many applications that use the ` character (markdown in particular) and applications that map ~ to the home directory (vim, any unix utility, powershell, etc ...).  

This seems to be a bug in the client itself vs. any inherent issues in a MacBook.  I can for example start a Windows VM in a parallels session, remote desktop from there to a Windows box and everything functions as expected.  

I'm using Microsoft Remote Desktop client  8.0.18 (build 26163) 

June 30th, 2015 12:12am

Hi,

Thank you for reporting this issue. I've forwarded it to product team. 

In the meantime you can also submit it to Uservoice for Mac: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/287834-remote-desktop-for-mac 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 1st, 2015 10:03pm

Hi,

Thank you for reporting this issue. I've forwarded it to product team. 

July 2nd, 2015 1:59am

The issue was logged and it should be fixed in future release. Thank you again for reporting. 
July 9th, 2015 10:57pm

We have released a preview of the new Mac client: http://aka.ms/rdmac-preview

See if your issue is solved with the preview.

August 19th, 2015 11:31pm

Hey Eva,

I tried out this beta and it does fix the ~ issue.  However it introduces a new one.  Any time a key is paired with a modifier like Ctrl it appears to use the non-Dvorak mapping of the key.  This breaks actions like copy, paste, open tab, close tab, etc ... 

September 3rd, 2015 8:24pm

Hello Jared,

We are tracking this issue and will keep you posted through via our release notes.

If you have features you would like to see light up in our beta earlier visit our UserVoice forum and post your ideas here: aka.ms/uservoice-rdmac

---

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help.

September 4th, 2015 1:15pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics