Mac clients can't authenticate to AD on a 2008 Server?
I'm (stuck with) a mixed environment of Macs and PC's. I've set up our DC as a 2008 Server and now find out that the Macs can't authenticate to Active Directory on 2008 Server. I'm also running a 2nd server with Hyper-V to host the other servers we need.Anyone have any idea how to get this working? It would REALLY suck to have to wipe the DC and start all over again with a 2003 Server install.MAJOR Mayday, so any help is greatly appreciated!
April 22nd, 2009 10:55pm

Hi Marc,Not sure how your Macs are configured to authenticate or connect to the DCs. Anyhow, you may want to look into Wes Miller's Technet article on interoperability describing how Macs can interact in a Windows AD environment:Interacting with Windows from a Mac Environmenthttp://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2008.12.interacting.aspxRegards,Salvador Manaois IIIMCITP | Enterprise & Server AdministratorMCSE MCSA MCTS(x5) CIWA C|EH My Blog: Bytes and Badz
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 23rd, 2009 5:43am

Just an update on this for anyone who may find this while battling the same issue. It appears MS has dropped support for Mac connectivity in 2008 server due to exceptionally low customer use. Basically, Macs aren't worth the trouble.The work-around for this (that I wish I had thought of at the time) is to build a VM of 2003 Server and use it as your Mac file server. The only other alternative right now seems to be using Office 2008 for the Mac, which supports SharePoint, then migrating all of your documents to SharePoint - a lot of extra work, complexityand expense.Of course, the best work-around is to get the Macs off your network :)Part 2: WOOHOO! 2008 R2 and Leopard (or Snow Leopard) DO work together! What a lifesaver!
November 29th, 2009 2:17am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics