MS Windows webserver 2008 - Invalid Product Key
Purchased boxed version of webserver 2008 at CDW. Have been trying to install it for four days and getting the same message: Invalid Product Key. Input the key 10 different by 3 different people to make sure that we are entering the key correctly, but no use. Have already wasted four days and Microsoft tech support is as hard to get. Tech support will not even accept email before getting paid $260.00 bucks!!!! I am frustrated. CDW people are enjoying labor day and will not respond until Tuesday.... Very frustrating and expensive proposition indeed....
September 7th, 2009 10:57pm

Hello are you using the CDW key with the webserver 2008 installation disk that came with it or you have another installation and the key is not working. Also make sure at the installation prompt you select the webserver edition..If that does not work, I am thinking that your key might be for another version of windows. Microsoft probably won't do anything, you have to deal directly with CDW. Hopefully they didn't sell you a key that have been used and activated by someone else.Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 8th, 2009 2:39am

Hi, For product key issues, please contact your media seller or you local Microsoft Customer Service for direct assistance. http://www.microsoft.com/worldwide/ Note: Microsoft Customer Service mainly handles issues regarding replacement manuals, disks, drivers and service packs, product IDs, lost CD keys, product orders, policies related to copying software on additional computers, licensing, and product registration. Tim Quan - MSFT
September 8th, 2009 4:30am

I am using the key and media from the same sealed box. I purchased one earlier and that worked without any problem.
September 10th, 2009 5:21am

OK. Please contact your seller or Microsoft Customer Service for help.
September 10th, 2009 5:46am

I am having the exact same issue with a retail copy of Windows Web Server 2008. I spoke with Microsoft directly and they admitted that they are having problems with the Windows Web Server 2008 Retail product keys. I gave them my keys and the part numbers off of the DVDs so they could verify that I owned a genuine copy. Their suggestion was for me to install without using a product key, download Service Pack 2, then activate using the key. I am attempting this now and will report back on my findings.
September 25th, 2009 12:34am

After installing all available updates, including Service Pack 2, both keys are still being reported as invalid. I will again contact Microsoft for an answer.
September 25th, 2009 8:46pm

I have the same problem. Original box with original keys, but it simply does not swallow them. Calling microsoft only results in making a tech call which costs 290 euro's. Activation service says the key is wrong and produces an error. Business support arguments the key is ok. So now just waiting for the tech support session. But ofcourse if it is due microsoft they argumented you won't have to pay for the session.
October 12th, 2009 4:09pm

I had the identical experience with a copy of Windows Web Server 2008 Retail that I just purchased. Solution, install sp2 and run updates. Just today an update came through from Microsoft that allowed the supplied key to activate the product.
October 16th, 2009 4:58pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics