MS VPN can't browse websites
Hi, I got a problem with being unable to browse through a website while using Microsoft VPN. The VPN server is configured on Server 2008 R2. I did some research and it looks like it is normal when using PPTP. The best part is that it used to work, and the only thing changed is me changing default gateway on the entire network to new one. When I do IP config I get default gateway 0.0.0.0, I try to ping google I get responds. So why I can't browse through the internet but can ping websites, make on sense. Wonder if anyone has fix for it?
June 15th, 2011 10:13pm

There are two ways to access the Internet 1) through the VPN and remote site's gateway 2) through your local gateway. The default is #1 but it does not always work if routing and DNS is not properly configured. If you want to use option 2............ There is a security feature in the VPN client that blocks local connections, including local Internet access, to protect the office/remote network. You can disable this if you wish. To do so on the client/connecting PC, go to: control panel | network connections | right click on the VPN/Virtual adapter and choose properties | Networking | TCP/IP -properties | Advanced | General | un-check "Use default gateway on remote network" For Vista: control panel | network & sharing center | connections | manage network connections | right click on the VPN/Virtual adapter and choose properties | Networking | Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IP v4) -properties | Advanced | IP settings | un-check "Use default gateway on remote network") For Win 7: control panel | network & sharing center | change adapter settings | right click on the VPN/Virtual adapter and choose properties | Networking | Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IP v4) -properties | Advanced | IP settings | un-check "Use default gateway on remote network") Rob Williams
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 16th, 2011 12:38am

I know about "Use default gateway on remote network". The thing is that it used to work, I used to have internet when connected to the company. Frankly I did not setup the VPN so don't know much about configuration being done. Could it be because I changed the default gateway on the network? But still, I am able to ping websites, but not access them.
June 16th, 2011 7:23am

Ok, I fixed it. Something happened to border firewall an.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 16th, 2011 9:16am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics