MS Shadow Copy Provider service missing - registering swprv.dll fails
I have a Windows 2003 server that has started failing backups. After searching for many days for a solution I'm posting here in hopes that someone can assist. This is a Windows Server 2003 Std x86 SP2. In the services.msc - Volume Shadow Copy service is present and running There is no service listed for Microsoft Shadow Copy Provider. When attempting to look at C:\ properties\shadow copies I see an error: Initialization failed. Error 0x8004230f: The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error while trying to process the specified operation. Suggestions to re-register the components returns successful with the exception of DllRegisterServer in swprv.dll failed. Return Code was: 0x800ffff DllRegisterServer in eventcls.dll failed. Return Code was 0x80040154 DllRegisterServer in vssui.dll failed. Return Code was 0x80040154 swprv.dll is not present in HKEY\LOCAL MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\swprv I imported this key from a sister server. When trying to register the dll however, it removed the key from the registry. Any help would be appreciated.
July 6th, 2011 2:44pm

Hi, Have you tried the “Microsoft Fix it” tool from the following Microsoft KB article: Various issues may occur on a Windows Server 2003-based computer that is running the Volume Shadow Copy Service http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940032 If it does not work, you may run System File Checker to scan and repair the system files. For the detailed information, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article: Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747 If it still cannot work, please copy the files from another working Windows Server 2003 computer and replace the original ones. You may also try to import the service related registries to check the result. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 7th, 2011 12:31am

I have taken all of those steps with the exception of the file scan. It completed but did not solve the issue. I am reinstalling/repairing the os as the last resort. Thank you for replying. I am sure the re-install will probably resolve any remaining issues.
July 7th, 2011 2:13pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics