MSI deployment issue
Hi, I have few MSIs on a 2003 server. I am trying to copy the MSIs from the 2003 server to a 2008 server and then use a MSIEXEC command from the 2003 server, to install the (copied)MSIs on the 2008 server. The first time when i tried this, it worked. The next day, the MSIs got copied over, but the installation failed for few MSIs and not all. The other day, few more MSIs failed. Thus the number of MSIs that are failing in the installaiton started increasing. But all the MSIs are getting copied accross. Could be a communication issue between 2003 and 2008 servers?!?!?!?! Note: I have installed psexec on both servers. Please advice on this.
October 17th, 2012 9:39am

Hi, Thank you for posting your query here. May I know what kind of MSI package/application deployment method you use at your place? are you deploying application through Group policy or SCCM/SMS application deployment tool? If you provide clear/more details then only we can have chance to guide you in right direction. Thank you for understanding.Regards, Ravikumar P
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 17th, 2012 10:28am

Hi, Before going further, wed better confirm the current issue first. As you mentioned in the thread, if you have copied these MSI package to Windows Server 2008 successfully, there is no communication issue between the two servers. Would you please let me know whats the detailed error information when you installed the MSI packages? Since you have copied them to Windows Server 2008 successfully, why dont you install these MSI packages directly on Windows Server 2008? If you still choose install these MSI packages remotely, we could us PowerShell. For details, please refer to the similar thread below. Install application through powershell http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverpowershell/thread/7ff308c5-4d6e-48da-b1b1-6dccae51e6a2/ Regards, Andy
October 19th, 2012 10:32am

Hi Andy, This is the error message that I am getting. Starting uninstallation of abcde.msi to XYZ (Server Name) psexec \\XYZ msiexec /norestart /quiet /x "c:\temp\abcde.msi" An error occured during the uninstall of abcde MSIEXEC EXIT CODE (via psexec): 1601 According to the current set up that we have in place, this is what we expect to happen Install MSIs remotely daily by uninstalling the older version(Previous day's version). In this case, the MSIs are getting copied over but are failing in the uninstallation phase which eventually is leading to installation failures. For 1601 error, I followed the steps in the below link but nothing helped. Please advise. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_programs/error-1601-windows-installer-is-not-accessible/08dce679-496d-43f4-a4b5-bb467800bb90
October 29th, 2012 8:16pm

Hello there?!?!?!?! Any answers?!?!?!?
November 26th, 2012 3:29pm

Check this link and act accordingly.http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/1812-deploy-msi-files-using-psexec We can suspect that "UAC" may stopping you and leading to get above error.Regards, Ravikumar P
November 26th, 2012 4:32pm

Hello, I tried the steps mentioned in the above link. Its still not working. Any more suggestions please?!?
December 3rd, 2012 1:02pm

Hello, I tried the steps mentioned in the above link. Its still not working. Any more suggestions please?!? Share us the error code or snap-shots to us.It will help us in giving right suggestion to you.Regards, Ravikumar P
December 3rd, 2012 1:26pm

Hello, This is the error that we get(along with the error code) Starting uninstallation of abcde.msi from XYZ psexec \\XYZ msiexec /norestart /quiet /x "c:\temp\abcde.msi" An error occured during the uninstall of abcde MSIEXEC EXIT CODE (via psexec): 1601 where, adcde=msi name XYZ=Windows 2008 R2 server
December 3rd, 2012 1:46pm

Hello?!?!?!? any more suggestions?
December 13th, 2012 1:47pm

Have you tried to do the uninstall locally on the 2008 server to confirm that the problem is actually related to the fact that you try to do it remotely?
December 13th, 2012 1:56pm

Hello, I did uninstall locally in the server and it did get uninstalled. I even tried remotely dropping files and it works. Just the remote uninstall is failing which eventually leads to remote installation failures.
December 13th, 2012 2:18pm

Try to use the absolute path for msiexec: psexec \\XYZ c:\windows\system32\msiexec.exe /q /x "c:\temp\abcde.msi" REBOOT=ReallySuppress
December 14th, 2012 12:51pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics