MS12-024 breaks ICA, and fix is to install files from 2008?
Reading the article for MS12-024 here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2653956 it says its a known issue that it can break RDP and ICA connections, and the fix is to install the 958476 hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958476 whose files have timestamps of 2008 on them. Why would the fix for this problem be to install files that are 4 years old and assuming probably vulnerable to some security flaws, which is why they've been updated since then by subsequent post-2008 patches? Something about that just doesn't sound right to me. Is Microsoft going to fix what they broke in MS12-024 in a future patch? if so, any ETA?
May 16th, 2012 11:14am

Hi, As the KB 2653956 mentioned, The files that apply to a specific product, milestone (SPn), and service branch (LDR, GDR) can be identified by examining the file version numbers as shown in the following table: Version Product Milestone Service branch 6.0.6002.18xxx Windows Vista SP2 and Windows Server 2008 SP2 SP2 GDR 6.0.6002.22xxx Windows Vista SP2 and Windows Server 2008 SP2 SP2 LDR GDR service branches contain only those fixes that are widely released to address widespread, critical issues. LDR service branches contain hotfixes in addition to widely released fixes. listed separately. MUM and MANIFEST files, and the associated security catalog (.cat) files, are critical to maintaining the state of the updated component. The security catalog files (attributes not listed) are signed with a Microsoft digital signature. Hope this helps! Best Regards Elytis Cheng TechNet Subscriber Support If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 16th, 2012 9:45pm

Thanks for the info, but i'm not seeing how that applies to the 958476 hotfix directed to solve the issue for rdp and ica? maybe i'm just missing it.
May 17th, 2012 9:48am

Thanks for the info, but i'm not seeing how that applies to the 958476 hotfix directed to solve the issue for rdp and ica? maybe i'm just missing it.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 17th, 2012 9:54am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics