MIssing rights/permissions
I just installed a SAN a couple weeks ago, and I'm starting to create shares and move data to it as a central repository for all network file stores. We currently have several shares spread across several physical servers throughout the domain. (it's a mess) All servers are on one domain. I'm logging into our DC as the global enterprise admin, but when I access many of these shares/files, to start copying them to the SAN, I find that I have no rights to many of them. Some folders when I take ownership of them, there are no users/groups who have been granted rights to those files. I add the admin account, and then I can move it. However, some folders I have to go into, and one file at a time, take ownership. The directory permissions that I add are not being replicated to the files in that folder. This is taking me an increasingly amount of time, and causing a tremendous amount of frustration. I don't understand how the admin account doesn't have carte blanche rights across the domain (unless it's specifically removed- which isn't the case) to each and every file/folder/share. But regardless, how is it possible to have files that have NO rights assigned to any user/group? Is this a sign of some sort of degredation?
July 16th, 2011 5:18pm

No it is possible that noone has permissions to file / folder [strange setup, does not make to much sense in most cases] but is is possible. And just small tip instead of doing those things manually I would advice you to take a look on icacls and takeown tools they can automate things. You can also have a look at Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit, which can be downloaded from microsoft website. that small program can be handy.With kind regards Krystian Zieja http://www.projectenvision.com Follow me on twitter My Blog Need help with your systems?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 16th, 2011 5:24pm

Thanks Krystian. That's spot on.
July 16th, 2011 5:31pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics