MDS Client - Explorer not working

Hi,

I have setup SQL Server 2012 - MDS and can run the web client from IE11. I've created the model and entities from System Administration ok,  however when I try and use Explorer to work with the master data I've setup, there's an error "The remote server returned an error: NotFound".  Not sure why...

I ran Profiler while clicking Explorer,  and it's connecting with the XML statements and running without any errors - so it's seems it's not any issue with connecting to the MDS database. 

I've read a lot about adjusting the Authentication - and these should be ok. Also it's on Windows 7 Home Premium.

I'm grateful for any help..

August 21st, 2015 9:17am

Are the MDS, sql server and client IE are running on the same machine?

Can you run a Fiddler on the client to capture the traffic while click the explorer?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 21st, 2015 2:17pm

Hi - thank you

Yes everything is on the same machine.

I've installed Fiddler web debugger. I can see the traffic  - what should I capture?

August 21st, 2015 3:01pm

Hi - thank you

Yes everything is on the same machine.

I've installed Fiddler web debugger. I can see the traffic  - what should I capture?

This is what the textview shows - it's a 404 http error

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

<head>

<title>IIS 7.5 Detailed Error - 404.0 - Not Found</title>

<style type="text/css">

<!--

body{margin:0;font-size:.7em;font-family:Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;background:#CBE1EF;}

code{margin:0;color:#006600;font-size:1.1em;font-weight:bold;}

.config_source code{font-size:.8em;color:#000000;}

pre{margin:0;font-size:1.4em;word-wrap:break-word;}

ul,ol{margin:10px 0 10px 40px;}

ul.first,ol.first{margin-}

fieldset{padding:0 15px 10px 15px;}

.summary-container fieldset{padding-bottom:5px;margin-}

legend.no-expand-all{padding:2px 15px 4px 10px;margin:0 0 0 -12px;}

legend{color:#333333;padding:4px 15px 4px 10px;margin:4px 0 8px -12px;_margin-

border-border-border-right:1px solid #969696;

border-bottom:1px solid #969696;background:#E7ECF0;font-weight:bold;font-size:1em;}

a:link,a:visited{color:#007EFF;font-weight:bold;}

a:hover{text-decoration:none;}

h1{font-size:2.4em;margin:0;color:#FFF;}

h2{font-size:1.7em;margin:0;color:#CC0000;}

h3{font-size:1.4em;margin:10px 0 0 0;color:#CC0000;}

h4{font-size:1.2em;margin:10px 0 5px 0;

}#header{width:96%;margin:0 0 0 0;padding:6px 2% 6px 2%;font-family:"trebuchet MS",Verdana,sans-serif;

color:#FFF;background-color:#5C87B2;

}#content{margin:0 0 0 2%;}

.summary-container,.content-container{background:#FFF;width:96%;margin-padding:10px;}

.config_source{background:#fff5c4;}

.content-container p{margin:0 0 10px 0;

}#details-left{width:35%;float:left;margin-right:2%;

}#details-right{width:63%;float:left;

}#server_version{width:96%;_height:1px;min-height:1px;margin:0 0 5px 0;padding:11px 2% 8px 2%;color:#FFFFFF;

background-color:#5A7FA5;border-bottom:1px solid #C1CFDD;border-font-weight:normal;

font-size:1em;color:#FFF;text-align:right;

}#server_version p{margin:5px 0;}

table{margin:4px 0 4px 0;width:100%;border:none;}

td,th{vertical-align:top;padding:3px 0;text-align:left;font-weight:bold;border:none;}

th{width:30%;text-align:right;padding-right:2%;font-weight:normal;}

thead th{background-color:#ebebeb;width:25%;

}#details-right th{width:20%;}

table tr.alt td,table tr.alt th{background-color:#ebebeb;}

.highlight-code{color:#CC0000;font-weight:bold;font-style:italic;}

.clear{clear:both;}

.preferred{padding:0 5px 2px 5px;font-weight:normal;background:#006633;color:#FFF;font-size:.8em;}

-->

</style>

</head>

<body>

<div id="header"><h1>Server Error in Application "DEFAULT WEB SITE/MDS1"</h1></div>

<div id="server_version"><p>Internet Information Services 7.5</p></div>

<div id="content">

<div class="content-container">

<fieldset><legend>Error Summary</legend>

<h2>HTTP Error 404.0 - Not Found</h2>

<h3>The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.</h3>

</fieldset>

</div>

<fieldset><legend>Detailed Error Information</legend>

<div id="details-left">

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">

<tr class="alt"><th>Module</th><td>IIS Web Core</td></tr>

<tr><th>Notification</th><td>MapRequestHandler</td></tr>

<tr class="alt"><th>Handler</th><td>StaticFile</td></tr>

<tr><th>Error Code</th><td>0x80070002</td></tr>

</table>

</div>

<div id="details-right">

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">

<tr class="alt"><th>Requested URL</th><td>http://localhost:80/MDS1/Service/Service.svc/bhb</td></tr>

<tr><th>Physical Path</th><td>C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Master Data Services\WebApplication\Service\Service.svc\bhb</td></tr>

<tr class="alt"><th>Logon Method</th><td>Anonymous</td></tr>

<tr><th>Logon User</th><td>Anonymous</td></tr>

</table>

<div class="clear"></div>

</div>

</fieldset>

</div>

<fieldset><legend>Most likely causes:</legend>

<ul> <li>The directory or file specified does not exist on the Web server.</li> <li>The URL contains a typographical error.</li> <li>A custom filter or module, such as URLScan, restricts access to the file.</li> </ul>

</fieldset>

</div>

<fieldset><legend>Things you can try:</legend>

<ul> <li>Create the content on the Web server.</li> <li>Review the browser URL.</li> <li>Create a tracing rule to track failed requests for this HTTP status code and see which module is calling SetStatus. For more information about creating a tracing rule for failed requests, click <a href="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=66439">here</a>. </li> </ul>

</fieldset>

</div>

<fieldset><legend>Links and More Information</legend>

This error means that the file or directory does not exist on the server. Create the file or directory and try the request again.

<p><a href="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=62293&amp;IIS70Error=404,0,0x80070002,7601">View more information &raquo;</a></p>

</fieldset>

</div>

</div>

</body>

</html>

August 21st, 2015 6:56pm

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee633744(v=sql.110).aspx

Can you go through the requirements to see if all the windows features are enabled? looks like the WCF service is not working, so I guess the WCF Activation - Http activation is not enabled.

August 23rd, 2015 12:01am

Hi Brent,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone more familiar with this topic for a further look at this issue. Sometime delay might be expected from the job transferring. Your patience is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

August 24th, 2015 9:19am

Hi Brent,

Although you've declared, but please make sure the Windows Authentication is enabled and the Anonymous Authentication is disabled for the MDS web site, and the Anonymous Authentication is enabled for the Service folder of the MDS web site.

August 25th, 2015 9:22am

Hi Brent,

Although you've declared, but please make sure the Windows Authentication is enabled and the Anonymous Authentication is disabled for the MDS web site, and the Anonymous Authentication is enabled for the Service folder of the MDS web site.

August 25th, 2015 1:18pm

HI ,

I did the following updates from the last to answers posted.

Added WCF Http activation to Windows features. This did not solve problem though - still get the "The remote server returned an error: NotFound" message when trying Explorer from MDS, or the connection from Excel MDS.

I then updated my MDS and Serivce in IIS - with the authentication settings- shown in the screen shot. Not there's no access to the web page. "access is denied"

this is quite frustrating... to say the least.

August 25th, 2015 4:22pm

Hi Brent,

Consider you might have broken the MDS web site by some incorrect configurations, I'd suggest you to delete the current MDS web site, and recreate a new one by using the MDS Configuration Manager. And after the configuration is finished, please visit the MDS web site and check if the Explorer is working.

August 25th, 2015 10:05pm

Hi,

Tried deleting and recreating the MDS- but same error when clicking the MDS Explorer..

Also,  I'm not sure why my IIS is different and not just showing 'Windows authentication'.

I had installed and run the fiddler tool - and it shows a 404, then 502  errors when the Explorer is clicked  ( see image below).

Really would like to get this working - it's a problem not understanding enough the intricacies of IIS configuration..

August 26th, 2015 8:56am

Hi Brent,

I can't see your image, can you upload it again? 

August 26th, 2015 10:14am

here it is :

August 26th, 2015 11:02am

Oh, sorry. It seems I missed something.

Windows 7 Home Premium edition is not in the supported list to setup the Master Data Services.

That's why you found the IIS is different.

See:
Setup Requirements (Master Data Services)
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee633744(v=sql.110).aspx

and

Web Application Requirements (Master Data Services)
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee633744(v=sql.110).aspx

August 26th, 2015 9:54pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics