MAX Disk I/O that can be handled by Server 2003
HelloI recently spoke to a friend of myne who was involved in the testing of windows 2003 linked to SQL 2005. They tested the max throughput and found that the OS limits the I/O to 2000 per second. I suppose that is the I/O's to the database. I need to find out if windows server limits I/O to SAN disks or I/O to the database.If possible can anyone tell me what is the max I/O isthat could be written to the SAN databases. Windows limit.
August 14th, 2008 1:15pm

In fact, it's very difficult to answer to your question because the max I/O depend from the size of datas. You can use the sqlio.exe tool. You can download it from the Microsoft Web Site to have an good Idea what are the limits for your database and your operating system.Philippe FREDDI - Forum Moderator, MCT, MCLC, MCITP, MCD, MCSD, MCSE, MCSE:Security, MCSE:Messaging
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 15th, 2008 11:22pm

Windows nor SQL limit the IO. There are quite a few varibles that come into play here, and they can be from the SAN as well as the host system.Disk rotational speedDisk cachingDisk blocking factorsSize of the IO (small versus large reads)Reads versus writesSequential versus random accessCaching setup on the SAN (write-thru or cache)Size of cache on SANNumber of disks being accessedInterface speedMulti-port IONumber of controllers in SANNumber of host controllersNumber of host processorsAmount of memory in hostAmount of memory set aside for caching in hostWithout knowing all this and more, it is pretty hard to say "x is the maximum IO you can expect".tgc
August 17th, 2008 7:35pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics