Lync Group Conversation Timeout Mystery

Hello Experts,

I was having a IM group conversation and see that after 4 hours of idle time, meaning none of the recipients were sending messages, the group conversation got timed out. The ConferenceIMIdleTimeout is not set within the client policy and as per documentation the maximum value that can be set for it is 60 minutes. Also the status within my Lync client is set to 50 minutes.

Why does the Group Conversation then expire after 4 hours? I know the same question was asked earlier too but there was no answer to it to close the thread.

Steps to replicate the scenario:

1. Select more than 1 user within the Lync client for an IM chat (Group Conversation).

2. Whether you send messages or not, does not matter, keep the conversation open for 4 hours. During this time no one should be sending any messages to this IM window

3. After 4 hours you will see the message "You have been removed from this conversation".

Waiting for an answer experts.

Thanks

May 1st, 2013 4:14pm

Hi,

Please try to sechdule the meeting in outlook ans start it instead of Meeting Now on client.

Please try to enable logging tool to see how it works.

http://blog.schertz.name/2011/06/using-the-lync-logging-tool/

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 3rd, 2013 9:22am

Hi,

The trace does not give any information as to where the 4 hour window is mentioned. Kent, this is regarding the Group Conversation and not scheduling a meeting. I have mentioned in my original question on how to replicate.

I know this is a feature where if a conversation or meeting is being on idle for sometime then to free the resources Lync will be doing this clean up.

My question is where on the server or which setting has this value of 4 hours set for the cleanup.

Thanks

May 7th, 2013 11:52pm

Hi,

As for as I know there is no setting which can set this value of 4 hours. I will open a meeting and monitor if the same behavie happen in my lab. I will update the result later.

May 8th, 2013 10:48am

Thank you Kent. As far as I logically think about this, there has to be a mention of the timeout time in the product for this behaviour to happen.
May 8th, 2013 3:32pm

Hi,

The same behavior happen in my lab. This is by design but I did not find any switch or setting that we can change this value. I will send a mail to Lync experts to see if we can get further information.

May 10th, 2013 11:46am

Hello,

Thank you for looking into this. I am investigating the same issue as we are attempting to have a group chat open during our business day (8-10 hours) and the four hour timeout makes this impossible.

How might this setting be changed so that we can use the group conversation / meeting feature for a seamless session during the work day?

Thank you.

June 27th, 2013 8:25pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics