Lync Contact List sorting is all wrong

Hi.. I have just installed Lync 2010 with all the updates and the users are explaining the sorting on the contact list changes everytime and is not in alphabetical order by last name. The use lastname, firstname and while they all show this way which is correct they are not in order and change everytime you logout and in. It's random and it's driving everyone crazy. Every users has this problem. I tried deleting the .db file on the client and all the ADFILES on the webservice folder and the same thing happens.  What's strange is that is you click on the "Status" tab to sort by status and change it back to "groups" it corrects itself and is right. This tell me it's a client bug. We are running the latest 4.0.7577.0

Please help

thanks dom

February 20th, 2012 8:34pm

Domenic,

Based on the version number you listed you are on the intial release of the Lync client which was released in late 2009.  As a starting point I would recommend updating to the CU4 version, which is 4.0.7577.4051.  The KB article with the x86 and x64 links is here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2514982.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 20th, 2012 11:00pm

HI Mike.. 

My mistake we are on 4.0.7577.4051. The computer i got that from did not have Windows Update run on it.. So we are good..  This problem is happening on all the computers and switching between Staus and Groups corrects the order until you logout and in again. Something flacky with this client..

Let em know.. thanks

February 20th, 2012 11:15pm

I agree - it sounds like a bug.  Were you seeing it when the client was on the .0 version as well?
February 21st, 2012 12:41am

yes i was..  It's driving people crazy.. Anyone have any options on how to fix it..Maybe reg fix?   

February 21st, 2012 12:45am

Is it possible they have some of the users stored in outlook contacts via first name last name in the "Full Name field"? Lync will read these and display them as so, can be quite confusing. 

Just a thought. I was able to verify this and it does impact the way contacts appear. I am running CU4 and do not see any of the issues you describe, unless someone is listed in a diffrerent format in my outlook contacts other than last name first name

February 21st, 2012 5:34am

Forgot to mention, had to sign out of Lync and restart Outlook after making the changes to my contacts

Signed back into Lync and all is correct regarding the contacts

February 21st, 2012 5:43am

Hi.. That is not the problem. All the contacts show correctly by lastname, firstname. The issue is they are not in order. Some are and then some are random and put anywhere. If i logout and go back in it changes again, however if i click on the "Status" tab to sort by status and change it back to "groups" it corrects itself and is right. Something is not right with this client. It happens on all our machines, 50 +.

All the users have the same contacts that we push over using LyncAddContacts.vbs script.  I even checked the .db file and it shows everything correct as far as the lastname, firstname goes so the address book is correct, it's the client.

Please let me know what else we can try or do. Thanks

February 21st, 2012 7:10am

Interesting, I am assuming all contacts are internal?

Very strange, I am not able to duplicate the scenario

What version are you running on the servers?

February 21st, 2012 7:28am

We are running Lync 2010 standard version 4.0.7577.0 - Server is windows 2008 R2 fully patched. I also ran the Lync update. So the client and servers are fully patched. 

Even running the lync 2010 client on the lync server gives me the same issue.   thanks

February 21st, 2012 2:54pm

Hi,Domenic166,

I haven't seen this before,would you please verify that if they are under "frequent contacts" group?If so it's normal,Lync client will list the most frequent contacts at the top by default.If you don't like it you can go to menu right of "Relationship",expand the drop-down menu and  clear "show the frequent contacts".

Regards,

Sharon

February 22nd, 2012 8:44am

Hi Sharon..

They are all under workgroup contacts. I even tried creating a new group and the same thing happens.  When i logout and in some of the contact are all other the place and when i click on Relationship or status and go back groups the list is right..

Thanks 

February 22nd, 2012 3:15pm

Hi,gmon16,

Are all the users' contacts in Lync client imported by Lyncaddcontacts?If so I doubt there maybe something crushed in your user database when you performed the scripts,would you please create a test user and add contacts manually to his client to see if it works normally?

Regards,

Sharon

February 24th, 2012 5:49am

Hi..

Yes they all were imported into the list using Lyncaddcontacts.. I will try a new user, however that does not explain why when you switch to  Relationship or status and go back groups the list is right-- to me the contact DB is fine, it's the client that's buggy.

thanks

February 24th, 2012 5:53am

Hi,

Any updates after testing with a new user?

If you have any discovery please do let us know.

B/R

Sharon

February 28th, 2012 6:13am

Hi Sharon..

I'll test that tomorrow. Tks

February 28th, 2012 9:25pm

Any updates?

B/R

Sharon

March 5th, 2012 6:11am

Hi Sharon, I started doing this and the users started getting the message about this person adding them to the contact list. Before i continue is there anyway to stop this popup they are getting. It's annoying.   thanks

March 8th, 2012 6:16am

Hi,qmon16,

Sorry for the late.

You can disable the alert for all users with running Set-CsClientPolicy to set EnableNotificationForNewSubscribers to false.

Details please check http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398300.aspx

B/R

Sharon

March 12th, 2012 11:19am

Hello, 

Any further updates on this issue? 

We also have few users who are experiencing this issue in the their Lync contact list. Always 2-3 contacts are not sorted and its not the same contacts every day.

Thanks.

BR

Sid

September 7th, 2012 10:01am

Hi Guys,

I am having the Same Issue. We have tried Several Registry Hacks to see if it was an outlook sort order issue or a lync. Definitely found that whatever the sort order is in Outlook reflects that seen in Lync. Is there any ideas or any one closer to finding a solution. I know this sort of problem shouldn't annoy users but it does keep us employed :)

October 11th, 2012 3:45am

Was a resolution ever found to this issue? I am seeing this as well.
July 1st, 2013 6:08am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics