Lost network connectivity on server '03 after reseting a wireless router, help please.
Well I hope I can describe this issue clearly enough to be understood. Here goes: I have a client that has an older WinServer2003 r2 box that has user restriction all over it. The person that set it up failed to leave the company the Admin pass word and the only access is the server box pass word itself. I personally have little experience with server 2003, I figured out how to add users to their existing structure and give them the restrictions they requested, but that is where my skill set ends. The also had daisy chain set up that went from the modem, to a Linksys WRT110 wireless router, then another cat5 to the netgear router 16 box. The last person to set up their wireless also did not write down the wireless password for them so they have not had access to their wireless for about a year. So in walks me, more nerve than brains; I've learned my limitations so I made it a point to only mess with what I knew how to fix. But when I hit the reset on the linksys router the whole network went down. The modem is sending signal fine, but the linksys router dead ends, I haven't checked the out on the netgear router but I suspect the is a issue with the Server but maybe that is me being paranoid of the fact that that is the only part of the equation I can't reliably diagnose. I tried bypassing the wireless by plugging the modem directly into the netgear box but no love. Is it a possibility that the Server is gate keeper for the incoming broadband signal? I know this info is lacking a lot of detail but if you can ask me clarifying questions I might be able to better describe the situation. Ideally if I can solve all their server admin problems I can document pass codes etc. leaving them in a lot better shape than I found them. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.
April 25th, 2011 10:45pm

Hi , Few questions after reading your situation a) does the SSID gets broadcasted ? b) can you try with different clients ,if they are able to get an IP
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 26th, 2011 12:14am

Hi Customer, Please post the network topology to us, like Internet--modem--Linksys wireless router--cat5 device--netgear router--server2003(gate keeper, DHCP?), correct me if not correct, Now your issue is local server and client couldn't connect to Internet? You could try connect laptop to linksys router to test connect Internet, like Internet--modem--Linksys wireless router--laptopRegards, Rick Tan
April 27th, 2011 4:41am

Thanks for the help, I actually fixed it. seems the wireless was miss communicating its IP to the server and as it was the gateway it appears it was the show stopper. I reset the IP with the one the server was pinging and everything went through just fine. Thanks again!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 27th, 2011 10:01am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics