Lost network connection

I have a Dell Poweredge R310 that has Server 2008 R2 installed with Hyper-v.  the network card is part of the system board, and has two ports.  Only one port is connected to the network, and the other port is disabled in Windows.  I don't have an extra network jack to conncet the other port to.

I have installed a Server 2008 R2 guest OS, and now I get intermittent network connectivity on both the host and the guest.  Basically either the guest will have a good network connection, but the host will be limited, or the host will have a good connection and the guest will say unidentified network.  The guest has a static IP address.

When I installed Hyper-v, I assigned the virtual network to the network port that is connected to the network.  I have been reading some of the best practices, and it says that two nics should be used.  Since I cannot connect the second network port to the network, is there a way to configure this so it works better.  Not I have another Dell server with two network ports, with only one connected to the network and the network works fine on the host and guest.  Thanks.

May 29th, 2015 4:14pm

Two NICs is not a requirement, just a recommendation (one for the External Virtual Switch, one for the management of the Host)

However, you can safely use one by selecting "allow management os to share.." in the configuration of the External Virtual Switch.

As far as the intermittent behavior.

If the 2 NICs are on-board and one on-board NIC died - I would consider the other suspect. (my first inclination).

The intermittent behavior could also be related to power savings settings in the NIC driver - be sure those are off.

It could also be physical switch port configuration.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 29th, 2015 4:47pm

Thanks for replying.  I uncheck the power mangement features on the physical nic, and no difference. I also removed and created the virtual network, and then reassigned the new virtual network to the VM, and gave the vm the static IP from before, and no difference.

I don't think the nic is bad, however I have another Poweredge R310  That I can install Hyper-v on and see if I get the same result.

May 29th, 2015 5:57pm

Hi Sir,

You can just use one NIC and bind it to external Vswitch .

Please try the following items :

1. please try to update driver for that physical NIC .

2. please try to disable VMQ on that physical NIC

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

June 1st, 2015 2:13am

You state that you are using a static IP address for the guest machine, but in your description it doesn't say anything about the physical host IP configuration. To what network is the server (and hence both the parent partition and the VM) connected? Is it a public network? Is it a private network where you have a NAT device handling off the IP addresses?

My first thought else is that you may have an IP connectivity issue if the host has a dynamically set IP address whilst the VM Guest has a static IP address. Please respond with whether it is a private or public IP address.

June 1st, 2015 2:34am

I have the most up to date driver.  What is VMQ?
June 1st, 2015 2:38pm

The host server has a static IP.  It is joined to my domain.
June 1st, 2015 2:39pm

Hi Sir,

You can find VMQ setting in physical NIC advanced setting :

Best Regards,

El

June 7th, 2015 9:59pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics