Loopback Adapter in conjunction with Layer 4 load balancers
Good day I am not sure if this is the proper forum for this but here goes. I have a web page I am trying to embed streaming media in, I have some Coyote Point load balancers that I have clustered to load balance across two servers, When a client clicks on the video link, my Firewall directs that traffic to a cluster IP (172.16.227.67 port 1935 for rtmp) then to one of my Media servers (172.16.227.205 or 206) the return traffic is direct to client, But of course I need it to come from the .67 address I created a Loopback adapter and gave it the IP address of 172.16.227.67 and I cannot get it to work, If I go directly to the Server IPs I get the streaming Video. the Coyotepoint Guys said something about a static route on the servers, they didn't know what it would be, I have my Gateway set to my layer 3 switch, So I can only assume my loopback is not set up correctly or I need somekind of static address directed .67 traffic to my physical IP of the servers. Can anyone help me out Scott Cummins
September 23rd, 2010 2:02am

Scott, I am not familiar with this brand of load balancers, but normally on a layer 4 load balancer, you would simply create the VIP (virtual IP) and then define "real" IPs which would be the IPs of the servers. You would somehow (depending on the load balancer), assign the real IPs to the VIP. The load balancer takes care of everything else. The packets needs to be addressed to the load balanced VIP, the load balancer will determine which server to send the packet to. Depending on the configuraiton, the load balancer will modify the packets and send it on its way. The server will respond back to the load balancer, and the load balancer will return the packet to the requestor. This is the way that I have always seen it done. I am not an expert in this technology, although I have a pretty good understanding. I have never heard of anyone having to create a loopback adapter on the server. I would recommend that you contact your vendor's support and/or post the questions in their forum. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 23rd, 2010 4:17am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics