Looking to install 2008 R2 on some pre-built hardware...
I'm looking to install Windows Server 2008 R2 on this pre-built HP p6467c that I picked up for cheap. I was wondering whether or not they could possibly be compatible, as the HP does not provide drivers for 2008, however it does provide drivers for W7. I have tried to look at the HP website for drivers. Wondering if this setup is possible. Thank you.
July 10th, 2010 10:46pm

I'd try vista chipset / drivers as first option. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 10th, 2010 10:52pm

If this is for a production server deployment, I would not recommed for you to move forward with this plan. However, if its for testing purposes, you can give it a try. In some cases you can use alternate drivers. I am not familiar with this computer and have not looked up the specs, but if the hardware supports x64 OSs (I assume that it does since 2008 R2 ONLY support 64 bit hardware [x64]), another option which you may have not considered is that you can load Windows 7 on the computer with compatible drivers and then run the 2008 R2 in a virtual environment. However, Microsoft Virtual PC does not support x64 guests so you would have to go with something like VMWare version 6 or higher. Unfortunately, sometimes cheap ends up costing more in the long run. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
July 10th, 2010 10:56pm

Hi, Have you checked the Windows Hardware Compatibility List: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx -- Mike Burr
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 11th, 2010 11:43am

Hi, First of all, Microsoft always recommend that you use the compatible computers for your business. If you do want to run Windows Server 208 R2 on a incompatible computer, you may encounter some unexpected issue, and you may can’t get support from the vendor or computer manufacturer. Base on my experience, most of the drivers work on Windows Vista/Windows 7 can work on Windows Server 2008 R2, however, there is no guarantee, that’s why the manufacturer develop different drivers for different operating systems. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
July 12th, 2010 11:48am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics