Looking for suggestion: to keep 2 shares synchronized between each other
Hello, Could you suggest me software to keep two shares synchronized all the time? Both shares will have new data written on them, and pretty frequently. I understand DFS replication is not the best solution for this type of scenario, so if you could provide different software application to perform this I will be thankful. Currently we are doing the Sync by using some robocopy scripts but would like to have a better solution. Thanks
June 22nd, 2012 4:01pm

1. Why DFS is not suitable for your system? 2. You can write your own script that comply exactly with your requirements. Give a try to Poweshell. Regards Milos
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 22nd, 2012 4:16pm

New information is written on both shares, every minute. The requirement is that people who don't understand about powershell scripting or any scripting to be able to use this software if required.
June 22nd, 2012 4:37pm

DFS and DFSR are capable of doing exactly that. The requirements are that it needs to be an Active Directory based DFS server(s) and each mirrored share has to be on a separate server with DFSR installed. The users mount a share with a path such as \\domain\dfs\myshare. DFS provides a mount to whichever server and replicates changes between the servers.
June 22nd, 2012 5:00pm

When I looked on the DFS FAQ I read this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773238(v=ws.10).aspx When should I not use DFS Replication? Do not use DFS Replication in an environment where multiple users update or modify the same files simultaneously on different servers. Doing so can cause DFS Replication to move conflicting copies of the files to the hidden DfsrPrivate\ConflictandDeleted folder. When multiple users need to modify the same files at the same time on different servers, use the file check-out feature of Windows SharePoint Services to ensure that only one user is working on a file. Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 with Service Pack 2 is available as part of Windows Server 2003 R2. Windows SharePoint Services can be downloaded from the Microsoft Web site; it is not included in Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2008 R2, or Windows Server 2008.
June 22nd, 2012 5:16pm

Then I guess you do have a problem. How do you handle conflicts now?
June 22nd, 2012 8:34pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics