Longhorn Build 6001 - A Great Server OS !
I have always used Windows 2003 Server rather than Windows XP and admit to disliking Vista Ultimate for many reasons. Longhorn makes me feel right at home, perhaps because it is functionally similar to Windows 2003 Server.It installed on a system consisting of a EVGA nForce 680i SLI motherboard, a GeForce 7600 GT graphics accelerator, and multiple SATA hard drives without a single glitch. Install time was under 20 minutes. All the hardware was recognized properly. Yes, I do know that Vista and Longhorn share much of the same code, but there are important differences in some user interfaces and in some functionality. Longhorn fortunately doesn't have much of the the fluff that makes Vista so annoying. Administrator is the real Administrator as are assigning this privilege to another user name. We use a hardware firewall and disable the Longhorn firewall and UAC.Overall, Longhorn runs properly and is a pleasure to use. There have been no crashes or major software problems. Dual boot works correctly with Windows 2003 Server and Longhorn and, unlike Vista Ultimate, Longhorn doesn't corrupt Windows 2003 Server's "C" partition. It does properly access other partitions that are shared between the two operating systems. SQL Server 2005, Visual Studio 2005, Office 2007 and our own application programs work fine on Longhorn. We are looking forward for compatibility with QuickBooks and NaturallySpeaking 9 neither of which currently run on Longhorn/Vista.
January 26th, 2007 5:18am

Yea 6001 is a great system but i just dont like that both vista and longhorn server 6001 feels so heavy to run..its like a "fat" person sitting on my laptop,If i use win2k3 in idle mode my laptop is cold, fan is silent but as soon i start vista or longhorn server and put it on idle it works like hell laptop gets warm,cpu fan never shuts up its like a nonstop working machine in vista/lh server :( how come?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 1st, 2007 6:13am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics