Login to Windows 2003 Server through Dial-up from Home Basic
I am trying to connect a remote computer running Vista Home Basic to a Windows 2003 Server installation. I want to allow access to the server through Remote Desktop. I understand that I cannot join a domain with Home Basic, but how can I login to the server from the VHB dial-up machine in order to use RDC ? Thus far I have not been able to accomplish this.
September 4th, 2009 4:35pm

The machine does not need to be a domain member for you to use remote desktop. Have you enabled remote desktop on the server? Can you ping the server from the Vista client? Dos the client machine have the RDP client installed? What happens if you try to connect by RDP?Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 5th, 2009 5:26am

The RDP client is not included in the Home edition of Vista, and it appears that only the 64-bit version of Home Basic can load RDP 6.1.http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/951616 You may be able to run a third party client like realvnc if you are using the x86 version.Bill
September 5th, 2009 10:28am

Yes, remote desktop is enabled. No, I can't ping the server as it is using a different IP series. Yes, the client machine has RDP installed. When I connect, I get a login, but if I try to login in using DOMAIN\username (or any other combination I can think of) the login is refused.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 5th, 2009 4:21pm

The RDP client is on the accessories menu in Home Basic and I'm using it. This is the 32-bit version of VHB.
September 5th, 2009 4:22pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics